Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2
My Carrier: Verizon

Storm 2 - RIM Mass Storage Device - Cannot Install Driver

Blackberry Storm2, with Desktop Manager 5.0 (11/23/09) installed, on Windows 7 x64.  I have Roxio Manager installed, and am able to transfer Media ONLY through that application.  There are no drives that show up in Windows Explorer for the blackberry internal storage and 16 GB SD media card.

Computer - Intel Core I7, MSI Eclipse plus MB, 12 GB Corsair DDR3 triple channel RAM, XFX Radeon 4870X2

I know this BB works with Win7 x64, as I installed Desktop manager on my laptop, and I am able to see both storage drives. 

I have tried EVERY known fix for this specific issue:

1) uninstalling DM 5.0, total clean of RIM software, reboot computer, reinstall DM 5.0.

2) reverting back to an Acronis Trueimage backup made 2 days BEFORE I bought the BB

3) the "calfix.exe" for blackberry. 

4) uninstalling DM 5.0, total clean of RIM software, reboot computer. Install of DM 4.x - FOUR different versions

5) Made a custom INF file for "RIM Mass Storage Device" pointing Windows to "Disk.sys" and "partmgr.sys", and that assigns unique CLSIDs for the drives.  DO NOT try that, as it crached the heck out of my machine hence I was forced to use Acronis and recover. 

6) Tried every possible combination of enabling/disabling media card support, auto enable mass storage

7) Pulled out SD card, soft and hard reboot of phone.  Pulled battery out.

8) Tried the Fix from Pinstack forums

9) Even tried a low level system hook in a cutom wrote DLL that attempted to create a named pipe using that interfaces with the CreateFileA that Roxio uses when accesing the SD card for media transfers.

I am going on 2 solid weeks of several hours a day trying to figure this out.  What could POSSIBLY be the issue of Windows not seeing the 2 storage drives, or not installing the drivers for the RIM Mass storage device?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport and Z10
My Carrier: AT&T, and VZW

Re: Storm 2 - RIM Mass Storage Device - Cannot Install Driver

On the BB Storm ..in order for your computer to see your Media Card and the files contained in them, you have to go to Options - Memory and enable Media Card Support, Media Transfer Protocol, Mass Storage Mode Support and Auto Enable Mass Storage when connected.

When you connect your Storm to your computer, it should read your Media card and open up the dialogue windows to view your files on your BB.

Hope that helps

New Contributor

Already done every single bit of that.  All those options are enabled.  This BB does work on aother Win7 x64 machine, but not my main workstation. 

I have manually installed disk.sys and partmgr.sys as drivers, but it gives me a "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".  The device manager entry is listed as "RIM Mass Storage Device" instead of RIM composite USB Device". 

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact you are running the 64 bit version of Win 7... I run Win 7 but the 32 bit version without any issues.

Trusted Contributor

Ahh..but then again you did say which I didnt catch that it does work on a diff system running the 64 bit version. Sorry I am stumped...

New Contributor

FOUND THE SOLUTION:

http://tekblogs.com/tb/2007/08/18/vista-driver-problems-installing-a-usb-media-reader-a-solution/

My %SystemRoot%\INF folder was missing usbstor.inf.  By going to a file repository in the "Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" and finding usbstor host folders, i was able to get a previously used .inf file to point Windows in the right direction. 

This is most definitely a *Windows* issue.  I had no troubles with upper and lower filters in the USB CLSID in the registry, so somehow the correct inf file was deleted and I was only able to find it in the repository.

Just a note: Roxio manager basically creates a virtual disk for its own internal use, using the RIM_USB.sys driver to communicate with the hardware.  CreateFileMapping system calls are used to map this device for reading/writing.  So Roxio can work without Windows explorer ever seeing it.  Windows NEEDS the usbstor.inf to be able to install the correct USB drivers in order to access the volumes on the BB.

A moderator should sticky or tag this post, because this issue is very widespread and I only found the solution after 2 weeks of searching. 

Trusted Contributor

Way to go!!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

localmotion34 wrote:

FOUND THE SOLUTION:

http://tekblogs.com/tb/2007/08/18/vista-driver-problems-installing-a-usb-media-reader-a-solution/

My %SystemRoot%\INF folder was missing usbstor.inf.  By going to a file repository in the "Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" and finding usbstor host folders, i was able to get a previously used .inf file to point Windows in the right direction. 

from Windows 95 SP3 to Windows 7, some things never change Smiley Happy

talk about plug'n'play ! Smiley Very Happy

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: