Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Storm 9530 won't boot up

When I try to turn it on a red light comes on for about 10 seconds then shuts off.  A little square with a line goes around for about 5 seconds and disappears.  Then this cycle starts again.  Can anyone help?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Storm 9530 won't boot up

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

You also might benefit from Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice but nothing seems to work.  It doesn't get far enough in the start-up to do safe mode.  Red light comes on goes off, a box with a line goes in circles then shuts off and starts the cycle again.  I have a recent backup but can't get it to connect long enough to do a restore even.  So frustrating.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Well, a "restore" would not likely be of any help, since that only acts on data...your symptoms sound like OS corruption, which would require an OS reload. Perhaps this article will be of use to your situation:

• KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader

Good luck

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I followed directions listed.  During the "reconnecting to JVM" the phone wouldn't connect and an error message would come up.

Hall of Famer III

And the error message is????????

Remember, only you can see what you see...I can only know what you tell me.

New Contributor

Here is what I see.  Was gonna put on screen shots but I'm not that savy.

Please wait while your Blackberry Device software is updated.

Install   -> -  Reconnecting to JVM

Reboot

Connection Prompt

Applicaton Loader was unable to connect with your device.  Please re-connect your device, enter the password, if required, and click retry.  (I clicked retry about 10 times and same message comes up).

After hitting reply to no avail, I clicked "cancel" and the following message comes up.

There was an error updating your software.

Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation.            

Hall of Famer III

So, I'm still a little lost...you must be somewhere in KB10144 linked above? If so, I still can't tell which of the two sections you are in...each for different versions of the Desktop Software. And I really can't quite find what specific step you are on there, nor if the preceding steps were correctly completed...so I'm still a little lost...

New Contributor

OK.  So I went through all the steps for Blackberry Desktop Software 6.0 to 7.0.  After I click Install Update (final step of instructions) and it goes through the different steps (below) for updating procedures.

Downloaded modules

Load JVM and systm

Connect to Reboot

Upload RAM

Erasing Apps

Loading System software

Waiting for device initialization

Reconnect to JVM

The problem is during the reconnect to JVM step in this process I get a pop up window that says "Application was unable to connect with your device.  Please re-connect your device, enter password, if required, and click retry.".  In this pop up window my options of clicking are retry or cancel.  I cick retry several times but the same pop up window appears. 

It seams as though no matter what I try the phone has a mind of its own.  Red light, box with line going in a circle, shut off, red light, box with line going in a circle, shut off.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

Ahhh...OK...that helps greatly...so you are on Step 7...I've seen this before...

Actually, what I usually do at that point is to disconnect and reconnect (physically, the USB cable) the BB from/to the PC...and, for me, doing so normally lets it continue on. Of course, that depends on where the BB is at...sometimes, the BB takes longer to get to a particular stage than the Desktop Software is willing to wait...so, seeing what is on the BB screen is critical to knowing a) if to actually do anything yet on the Desktop Software and/or b) if/when to remove/reattach the BB via USB. Sometimes, you just have to wait for the BB to complete the loading screen, and then do whatever is needed (e.g., answer the question on the PC, disconnect/reconnect the BB, both, etc.).

So it might just be a matter of waiting longer for the BB to catch up to what the Desktop Software is expecting.