Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Storm - Downloaded music... Message: You do not have rights to play content... ???

I have downloaded approximately 60 songs from my computer to the phone. When I try to play about half of these songs, a message box appears : YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO PLAY THIS CONTENT. YOU MAY NEED TO SYNCHRONIZE WITH YOUR PC IN ORDER TO OBTAIN RIGHTS. All songs I've downloaded have played without trouble on MP3 players. They have all been paid for and downloaded from a legit music website. I have downloaded the CD that came with the phone onto my PC and have synchronized the Windows Media Player with the phone. Any suggestions on how to unlock the rights on these songs so they play or is there something in WMP I've missed?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Storm - Downloaded music... Message: You do not have rights to play content... ???

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

The BlackBerry will not play iTunes or mp3s which have DRM on them. You can make one of two simple fixes...

On your PC, burn the iTunes to a CD and then rip back to your PC again,

or, find a website which offers DRM Removal and remove the DRM from the files.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

Re: Storm - Downloaded music... Message: You do not have rights to play content... ???

I understand that Apple is now getting rid of the DRM in music files.

They're charging a 30-cent fee per song -- to "re-download" DRM-free files (lame).

I've also heard of ways around the DRM from articles I read in the past. 

Do a search on the internet for "how to remove DRM from itunes," (or something like that) -- and you're likely to find a solution that doesn't involve forking over money to Apple -- or software to strip it out.

Contributor

JSanders is correct, I did try it while ago. I burned my purchased Itunes music to a CD and then rip it back to itunes on my Mac. Even lets you change bitrate.

Give this a try, it will work.

zimer 

New Contributor

Thanks for the welcome and assistance! Decided on the DRM removal route and had very little problem following the instructions for that process. Again, thank you. Prior to this, I had no idea what DRM was.

Has anyone had this problem when trying to download music directly from Rhapsody? If you have how did you fix it?

I'm having the same problem with Rhapsody and would like some advice as to how to fix it.
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

yphelps wrote:
I'm having the same problem with Rhapsody and would like some advice as to how to fix it.

If it is a problem with the DRM, follow the same procedure.

If not, could you state the exact problem you are having?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

I have tried all of the the above and am still having no luck.  Plus when I log into Rhapsody, I don't have the option to authorize the device so I try to turn off the mass storage and then Rhapsody doesn't even show the device.  I've had this phone for 3 weeks and the songs will play on my computer even though I downloaded them to my song, but they won't play on my song.  So I'm wondering if it's Rhapsody or if the phone is crappy and I should take it back.
Highlighted

I am failing to understand something about this issue.  Why should an additional step be required at all? I could perhaps understand if the music was downloaded from another source for another device.  However, if I choose to load various tracks FROM RHAPSODY to a device I have authorized within the RHAPSODY application, I would think that they should work without need of any sort of workaround like this.  Any ideas?  I have had very hit or miss experience.  When I first started using Rhapsody, nothing would play.  Then, mysteriously everything worked fine.  Now, I am back to having none of the tracks play again.