Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storm, Verizon, and GPS

On my storm, the Verizon GPS works fine. Blackberry maps does not. When I open BB maps and go to options, it is set to GPS Source - Internal GPS, and farther down where is says Default Services: it says Blackberry Maps-NA. When I ask it to find location it just gets stuck searching for sattelites. How do I fix this?
Contributor

now that the storm been out for a month has anyone tryed an external bluetooth gps reciver I have a globalsat 368i works great with my curve. dont need vz nav to much money per month 
New Contributor

I found this post in Google Support Forums... this should answer your question about Google Maps and the BB Storm.

It was posted 11/26/08

==========================================================================================

Thom (Google Employee)
Hi all,

The BlackBerry Storm uses a highly-customized GUI, which prevents Google Maps for mobile from being viewed in landscape mode. We're still working to integrate the app with this device, and  we haven't yet put out a new release since the Storm has launched. I reallize you're all eager to use your internal GPS with Google Maps for mobile - and we're working to get an update soon. I can't give you a timeline as of today, but I'll update this group when I can give a more accurate picture.

Best,
Tom
Contributor
My Device: Storm 9350

I just got back from Boston and used the BB Maps with the GPS turned on and it worked great.  I had to wait for it to find the satellites in a few cases, but every time it found the satellites and it gave me the correct directions and I used the GPS navigation a couple times, but found that following the directions was actually the easiest.

Try it again.  There is no need to use VZ Navigator unless you want true GPS-like features that talks to you.  It is not worth the $10/month when I can get the directions using BB Maps, and the BB GPS if you want.

New Contributor

The link below should answer some questions regarding the BB Storm and Google Map GPS. Unfortunately, it doesn't look too good for Google Map fans.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=777251d49c2c3dac&hl=en

Contributor
My Device: BB Storm

Does the backlight stay lit while driving around?
a "storm" is coming
New Contributor

What OS version are you using?  I have activated the program but it says it cannot find my location.  I have have set Location On under GPS.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

[ Edited ]

This Link sent from bbMaps to MACBook email.

Removed this text from above LINK

&label=Near+Calle+Murcia,Monterrey,Nuevo+León,Mexico&desc=MEXICO&address=Calle+Murcia&city=Monterrey&region=Nuevo+León&country=Mexico" target="_blank"

It missed by small bit and has 5 to 6 satelites showing indoors on (maybe) the south side of home.

Sometimes does "searching for satelites".

I will try it with TomTom 910 next month when I get home.

Either compare co-ordinates or try bluetooth pairing.

Google Maps acts like it could work but totally loses on the accuracy front.

Message Edited by CoolGames on 01-01-2009 07:00 PM
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Storm

For some reason, if you use the VZ Navigator, it tends to grab control of the GPS and not let go.  You have to be sure to "CLOSE" the VZ Nav to make the GPS available to other apps.   I've had good results both with "BB maps" and "Google Maps", but the VZ Nav seems to have an edge on accuracy and features.

If you find this helpful, please click on the "Kudos" button... 

Contributor

How do I find out my current location using BB Maps or Google Maps?  I did not see the option anywhere.