Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storm Wish List

I like many features the Storm has to offer but I cannot stand the fact that you cannot just tap to navigate and type rather than being forced to use the unwieldy and slow clicking feature.  I am coming from using the iPhone 3G, which had great UI but very poor productivity tools, and I used to be able to navigate and type quickly on that device using only one hand--using my thumb to lightly tap links, keyboards, etc.  I spent almost a full minute on my Storm this morning trying to click a single link on a web page and typically take two to three times as long typing a message on the Storm as I did on my iPhone.  If one could simply toggle a setting on the Storm so that they could use the phone by tapping without ever having to click the screen then this Blackberry device would indeed be a great competitor with the iPhone!

I know that this would be a relatively easy thing for RIM to do via a software update, since the device already uses tap/touch-only UI for many tasks.  Please, guys, increase your ability to compete and decrease customer complaints by adding this setting and allowing us to tap without clicking!

New Contributor

You know, I RTFM, and I've used the copy/paste and insert functions to non-destructively edit text, but I have to say: that functionality is practically useless.

It doesn't recognize finger clicks to the correct location.  I touch and click with the center of my fingerpad where I want it to go, and it jumps up or down a line.  I shift ever so slightly in the direction I want to go, and it skips a whole line.  When I want to place it next to a specific letter, it skips whole words, or even jumps to another field entirely (as in: when editing a txt message, it'll skip the cursor to the "To" field).

In short: the function that's supposed to be there is so unreliable and difficult to use that it's basically worthless.

My wish list?  Simple: debug the product.  Exhaustively.  I work as a Systems Engineer in the Aerospace field: if our avionics had software that was this unreliable, people would die, literally.  The head-up displays I work on provide flight guidance on takeoff and landing in very-low-visibility conditions.  If our HUD doesn't work, airplane meets ground in an unpleasant fashion.  The real kicker is: it doesn't take much in the way of quality control, process documentation, and testing to ensure a bulletproof product.  Hence, I have little tolerance for products that have not been thoroughly debugged prior to release.

New Contributor
My Device: Tour (VZW)

[ Edited ]
After using my friend's Storm for a week I decided not to get it because of the typing and editing issues.  I bought the HTC Touch Pro and I love it.  The Touch Pro makes editing easy because it has a phyiscal keyboard, a touch pad, a built in stylus, and there are arrow keys on the keyboard.  Editing is easy on this device.  It is amazing that the Touch Pro has 4 things to make editing easy and the Storm has none of them.  The BB OS might be easier to use than Win Mo out of the box, but Win Mo can do so much more after you get used to it.
Message Edited by mozy on 12-10-2008 11:58 AM
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8830

Re: Re: Storm Wish List

The thing that baffles me about all the qwerty keyboards, including the Storm is: Why is the bottom row of letters offset by one space to the right than what we ALL have on our computers? Can ANYBODY give me an answer? Are there any others of you out there that type the "B" with your LEFT thumb, because we all learned to use our LEFT index finger to type it? Treo got it wrong too!
Phil

I just posted this in another thread, but I'm putting it here too in the hope that someone will read this and actually implement it.

The phone should stay in portrait mode when it rings. It is very frustrating to chase the answer button around the screen as it changes from portrait to landscape mode. I'm not going to talk on the phone in landscape mode, so it should default to portrait when it rings and when I'm talking on the phone.

Same when the phone is locked.

Contributor

---POSTED IN OTHER THREAD TOO--- 

I am not sure if anyone has talked about this, but what is the point of the Storm changing orientation in the main menu.  I understand it changing in applications, but not the main menu.  

This only slows the operating system and most users find this "buggy" at best.  

If I can make one suggestion, it would be to add orientation settings to MR2.  Nothing bothers me more than taking the phone out of my side pouch and having to wait for the orientation to correct itself.  

Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one?

(Others suggest QWERTY support in portrait mode, but I think if there is a change to the portrait keyboard, they will have to adjust the landscape as well.  There is too much open space.)

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Re: Storm Wish List

philhughes wrote:
Are there any others of you out there that type the "B" with your LEFT thumb, because we all learned to use our LEFT index finger to type it? Treo got it wrong too!

The first point is that you don't type on a handheld device with a QWERTY keyboard the same as you would on a typewriter or computer keyboard (fingers on "home" keys) so you would never use your left index finder for "B" or any other key.  The QWERTY layout is the same merely to ease the user's ability to find the keys because our brains have been wired and conditioned to understand the QWERTY layout.   Imagine if it was an ABCDEF keyboard...

Secondly, you only use your thumbs on a handheld device and based on the position of the "B" I would use my right thumb, (split the keyboard between T and Y down the middle)

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

drse wrote:

The phone should stay in portrait mode when it rings. It is very frustrating to chase the answer button around the screen as it changes from portrait to landscape mode. I'm not going to talk on the phone in landscape mode, so it should default to portrait when it rings and when I'm talking on the phone.

If you're holding the phone up to your ear, it will be in Portrait mode... also, if you're holding up to your ear, you can't see it anyway, why does it matter whether it's Portrait, Landscape, or upside down when your on a call?

If you don't want to chase the Answer button, press the Green phone hard button to answer calls.  It's always in the same spot. 

New Contributor

Agreed on that one as well... Drive me up a wall to have to wait for the thing to change so I can use it the way it was

designed originally. Why not a option to turn off the accel. jig? That would be a big plus in my book as I've gotten use to the Suretype option. Maybe even a button to force the change on a as needed basis instead of on a turn by turn basis.

New Contributor

Yes I think it would be a good idea for it to stay only in portrait mode for the phone app.  This is true of the iPhone, infact I have the iPod touch and there a few apps or situations where the phone does not flip to landscape mode.