Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Storm

Storm won't turn on?

Sometime last night my phone lost enough battery for the "radio" to turn off so I cannot make or receive calls, texts, etc. I woke up this morning and the phone was still on, but the battery life bar was empty and red. I turned off the phone and went back to sleep. When I woke up about an hour later, I plug my phone into the charger and try to turn it on. Nothing happens. I let it sit for a while, maybe 10 minutes, before trying again. I removed the battery and put it back in, and the red light came on, but there was nothing on the screen. I held down the end key to turn it back on, and again nothing. I let it sit for 20 minutes before trying again, and still nothing. 

Once before my phone has been at the red, empty-ness but I just plugged it in instead of shutting it off and it was fine. Will my phone ever turn on again? Am I not waiting long enough?

And does the fact that I am using my MacBook to charge it make any difference? My wall charger has been broken since just a few days after I got the phone.

The red light is still on.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Storm won't turn on?

when you plug the device to your Mac, can you view it as an USB Mass Storage drive ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

[ Edited ]

You may have ruined your battery.   I would admit nothing and see if the store will replace it.

Although NiCad and NiMh batteries do benefit from a deep discharge, it is very bad for any device that uses LiOn batteries (such as the BB).   If you deep discharge the device too many times, that battery is toast.

Another characteristic of LiOn batteries is that they last longer and perform better if you FULLY CHARGE THEM when they are new and not discharge them until they are fully charged.   Unfortunately, a lot of sales persons in a misguided attempt to see a happy customer, hand over a running phone which only has its factory charge in it.  Using the phone this way really compromises the battery.   If a salesman wants to do this, I'd advice charging a battery fully and then providing that one to the customer, taking the one out of the kit to the be the next fully charged battery.

It also is possible that some computers (not especially the macbook) and particularly laptops with power conservation enabled, will not provide sufficient power to the USB device to charge it.  So, that too might be part of this.

Any wall charger (such as you might get from radio shack) with same connector (or the mini usb and a micro usb adaptor) and with at least 750 milliamperes of output current will be fine for the BB.

A deeply discharged battery will need MUCH more current to charge and to get it out of the deep discharge state.

Message Edited by geoffreyf on 03-08-2009 06:47 PM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

geoffreyf wrote:

It also is possible that some computers (not especially the macbook) and particularly laptops with power conservation enabled, will not provide sufficient power to the USB device to charge it.

I shall add that the Storm 9500 series requires less current as the Curve 8300 series. And that the "Power conservation" geoffref is talking about can be disabled on the PC/Mac.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Not Specified

this also happened to me last night I had half battery life so it was not the battery when I woke up my phone was off and I tryed charging it but all that happens is a red light comes on my phone wont turn onMan Sad

Trusted Contributor

It is not good to totally drain your Li-ion battery so a good habit is to stick the Storm back on a charger when it hits around 50% level.  If you have a damaged battery that doesn't hold charge that well, you can take your phone back to Verizon within 1 year and request for a new battery but they might make you go through some procedures in order to get it though.  At least you know it is available if your battery is no good.
If this info helped, please click on my Kudos. Thanks.
New Contributor

Help!!!!!

I've never owned a BB before and decided to try the storm so i bought a used handset it had a a little charge in it when i bought it and after playing about with it when i got to work it was on the red battery so i charged it under the counter at work and it looked like it wasn't charging ( I've never seen the LED go any colour ) 

And i finally got it too charge and the screen kept showing me a white screen with the battery and lighting bolt logo! i left it on charge over night... 6-7 hours and i've woke up & its still on that screen it briefly looked liked it was booting up gave me the black ticking screen then a little of the white but now its dead and the only life i get is if i plug it in but then i'm only getting the battery logo again!!! help please!!!

Emma

New Contributor

Storm won't turn on?

Help!!!!!

I've never owned a BB before and decided to try the storm so i bought a used handset it had a a little charge in it when i bought it and after playing about with it when i got to work it was on the red battery so i charged it under the counter at work and it looked like it wasn't charging ( I've never seen the LED go any colour ) 

And i finally got it too charge and the screen kept showing me a white screen with the battery and lighting bolt logo! i left it on charge over night... 6-7 hours and i've woke up & its still on that screen it briefly looked liked it was booting up gave me the black ticking screen then a little of the white but now its dead and the only life i get is if i plug it in but then i'm only getting the battery logo again!!! help please!!!

Emma

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi Emma, it sounds to me like your battery or software may be toast on the Storm.  Is there any chance you're seeing an error message with that image of what looks like a battery?  The very first thing to try is to remove the battery from the phone (while it's on).  Leave it out for a couple of minutes (usually 15-30 seconds is fine, but because of the type of problem, I recommend longer).  Then reinsert the battery and see if you get any better results.  If that doesn't work, the next step to try is to replace the battery with a different one (e.g. if any of your fellow friends has a Storm - I think the 8900 uses the same battery as well).

If the above doesn't work, try downloading an operating system for the phone (if you've got a 9500, I'd suggest downloading the 4.7.0.141 from Vodafone UK) or if you've got a 9530, you can try 4.7.0.122 from Telus or Bell (or if you feel adventurous, try 4.7.0.148).  You can find the official OSes in the Support section located at the top of this page, 4.7.0.148 can be found by doing a Google search.

Once you've downloaded it, follow the steps located here to load it onto your phone:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&message.id=17462#M17462

If you like, you can also use the Loader.exe file located in the same folder as where you delete the Vendor.xml file rather than having to use the Desktop Manager.

If you have problems, you may need to download a program called JL_CMDER first in order to wipe the OS off the phone.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

[ Edited ]

I had this happen to me.  You just have to unplug it and plug it in several times.  Then you have to let it sit on that screen "the white screen" for like 10 minutes.  After this it should start up again (reset).  And show that is charging.  For some reason when the battery dies for real, it is hard to get it back on the bandwagon.  It won't turn on until it gets a little charge.  It scared me when it happened.

Trust me.  I let mine sit overnight.  Did the exact issue you had.  Plugged it in, and unplugged it a few times.  Then it finally accepted and realized it was charging.  You will know within 10 minutes, the phone will restart.

Message Edited by NotSuperman on 05-28-2009 04:54 AM