Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Storm2 number keypad disabled after dialing Verizon *611 or voice mail.

New user here.  I am on my second Verizon Storm2 (in one month) with same issue.  After dialing Verizon *611 or when calling voicemail, the number keypad is disabled and the numbers are gone or moved to different locations so I can not enter PIN.  I am sure it is a software issue.  Tried a hard reset with no luck.  VZ authorized retailer believes he can fix this problem by wiping clean and reinstalling one app at a time.  Has anyone else had same problem and any luck with a fix?

Solutions: 6,352
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Storm2 number keypad disabled after dialing Verizon *611 or voice mail.

I need to know your Operating System loaded to your device.
Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.5.xxx"

What is yours?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

J. 

The info you requested is

v 5.0.0.320 (Platform 4.2.0.124) {17}

Thanks

My Device: storm 2
My Carrier: verizon

After dialing voice mail my dial pad would only have two numbers and three letters?? Anyway my solution was to go to desktop manager,sync, back up my data, then restore. That seem to solve my problem. All this followed a "jum error 523". For that I had to remove the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, reinstall, Sync to desktop manager,back up data, restore. Hope this helps.

onmy4

New Contributor

The Verizon agent started by backing up my data then wiped the BB. Instead of reloading in bulk, he deleted all of the completely unused items then loaded each application one by one. It took some time but everything works fine and I have not had a problem since the original post weeks ago.
EdY
New Contributor
My Device: 9550 Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Storm2 number keypad disabled after dialing Verizon voice mail.

I have an identical problem to that reported earlier, but I've tried a hard reset, and also done a backup/restore cycle, including a restore to an earlier date before the problem appeared.

Is there some utility that allows you to change the number pad for certain activities?  I'm wondering because the problem appeared after I had taken a call with the phone up to my face (rather than using my usual bluetooth headset), and I remember feeling the keypad "click" as I was using the phone.  There's almost no way to pick up the phone or use it at your face without depressing something.  Have I inadvertently changed a setting?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm a Verizon subscriber and the keypad appears normal except when I've dialed voicemail to check messages.  Then instead of numbers it has an voicemail image (like the old reel-to-reel tape recorders), a star, and a couple of numbers.  The rest of the blocks have letters but they are grayed out.

Thanks.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Spartan1 wrote:

New user here.  I am on my second Verizon Storm2 (in one month) with same issue.  After dialing Verizon *611 or when calling voicemail, the number keypad is disabled and the numbers are gone or moved to different locations so I can not enter PIN.  I am sure it is a software issue.  Tried a hard reset with no luck.  VZ authorized retailer believes he can fix this problem by wiping clean and reinstalling one app at a time.  Has anyone else had same problem and any luck with a fix?

This has nothing to do with dialing 611. It's a software issue, but has a work-a-around. The drawback is if you want to use the full keyboard, you won't be able to. Heres the process:

go to -----> Options----->Screen/Keyboard

Under Portrait View Keyboard select SureType

I've had my full of BB. With the recent upgrade of the Storm1 OS to 5.0, the phone does work better but still have issues. With the dial pad issue, with this problem cropping up, I wonder what they are doing!!! I am finished!

EdY
New Contributor

I didn't believe 611 had anything to do with it, but oddly the messed up dialpad only showed up when I accessed voicemail.

After reading through more of the forum history last night I found that same solution, and it does fix the problem. 

Thanks for responding.  I do have to agree that the phone has a lot of quirks.

Regards,

EdY

My Device: Storm 2 9550

Same very annoying problem here. After a wipe out (Options -> Security Options -> Security Wipe) the problem was gone, but when i restored the data back, the problem came back as well! What seemed to do the trick was, while i was in the middle of a call with the dialpad showing, i opened the menu and chose switch application. I happened to switch to Options, and then switched right back to Phone (i.e. the call), and it was fine. Go figure...

Btw, this is my second Storm 2 in a month! The radio on the first one wouldn't work, and I have a hunch it was a software problem too...

EdY
New Contributor

Yesterday I was trying to voice dial a call with my bluetooth headset and when nothing happened I glanced at the display to see what was going on.  It had a message saying the system was "too busy" to make my call!