Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16gb Wi-Fi only, OS 2.1.0.1314
My Carrier: N/A

Strange Bluetooth Keyboard issues...

So I did a search of these forums for "bluetooth keyboard" and it seems other people have had issues with their PlayBooks and bluetooth keyboards -- however, they all got stuck either at the pairing stage or just after it.

My keyboard will pair successfully with the PB, and when I tap "Bluetooth Keyboard" in the BT menu, it says it is using the HID profile. However, the PB will not receive key presses of any kind.

I've tried soft/hard reset of both PB and keyboard, tried resetting keyboard, everything I can think of.

Is there an input selection somewhere that I'm not aware of? I'm fairly sure that the PB is capable of receiving key presses because during the pairing process, if I type in the WRONG key it instantly rejects the pair -- so it must be receiving that data somehow right?? Plus it's loading the HID profile, which, as far as I can tell, means it's connected and working properly...

I'm stumped!! Any and all help appreciated Smiley Happy

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Strange Bluetooth Keyboard issues...

What kind of BT keyboard is it?

My Device: PlayBook 16gb Wi-Fi only, OS 2.1.0.1314
My Carrier: N/A

Airoha is the only name I seem to be able to get for this keyboard. Not sure if that's the chipset or the manufacturer's name. I've been able to pair it to my PC, HTC Phone, an iPhone and a PS3 with no trouble at all. The instruction manual that came with it is hilariously translated, but from what I can tell it should be compatible. It says it's using Bluetooth 3.0 (which is funny because I thought that BT versions skipped from 2 to 4.0 -- or am I wrong on that one?)

Anyway, that's all the brand info I can find. I might crack it open to see if I can find a transmitter chip and look up some info on it.

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

i am stumped on this too.

The specs indicate that the PB can handle BT 3.1

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/tablet-specs.html

Since it works on your other devices, give playbook support a call at this number:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/get-started.html

My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

It is possible that this keyboard simpy isn't compatible with the PlayBook. Not all keyboards or other bluetooth devices are compatible with all devices, and it may be that this specific brand isn't compatible with the PlayBook.

If it's showing that it is connected and being recognized by the PlayBook as an HID device, it should be working, and if it's not, it suggests that it's simply not compatible. Smiley Sad

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!