Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 3G 9300
My Carrier: Koodo
Accepted Solution

Stranger in a strange land. . .

Gentlepeople: 

I got a Blackberry Curve 3G 9300 (v6.0.0.534 Platform 6.6.6.200) a few days ago and I feel like I jumped into the deep end of the pool.  Before the weekend, I had only used a cell phone -- any cell phone -- only once before. As a result, the learning curve for me on the Blackberry isn't just steep, it's bloody vertical.

My provider is Koodo, and they have been very patient with my newbie status. I only got a basic plan, so I don't get a lot of the extras. My fundamental reason for getting the phone in the first place was because pay phones in my area just don't exist anymore. Trying to call home when I was away was a real frustration. So far, I've plodded through getting on the web, and learning how to retrieve voice mail. I still don't know how to text yet, but I think I'm getting close. About the only other thing I really want to do  is to learn how to transfer a picture of my dog (an insane border collie) from my computer to the Blackberry  to use as wall paper. I've downloaded the Blackberry program to help with doing that . . .another part of the learning curve.

Thanks for listening. I look forward to learning more from these pages . . .assuming (a big assumption) that I understand what you're talking about in the first place.

Cheers. . .

Michael

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Stranger in a strange land. . .

Welcome!

TheShieling wrote:

About the only other thing I really want to do  is to learn how to transfer a picture of my dog (an insane border collie) from my computer to the Blackberry  to use as wall paper.

Do you have your email on the BlackBerry setup yet? If so, from your PC, email yourself that picture.

Once the email arrives on the BlackBerry, scroll down to the attachment and open it or save it to your BlackBerry Media Card. Open the picture and press the Menu key (the key with the BlackBerry dots logo, left of the trackpad) and choose "Set as Wallpaper"

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks, Mr. Sanders. . .

No, I don't have e-mail for my Blackberry. That was another $15 a month, and I'm way too cheap for that. I think I can get the dog shot from my computer through the Blackberry program. I'll see. But thanks very much for your thought . .

Michael

Yes, you can do that... connect the USB cable. You should see a pop on your BlackBerry screen asking if you want to use this as a USB device, click on that.

IN  your computer at My Computer, you should see your BlackBerry as a removable drive (sometimes e: f: or g: and if you know where your dog picture is, you can simply copy it from the PC to the BlackBerry drive now.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. My Mac's pretty good with this sort of thing. I've just got to get up the nerve to do it. (c-;

Shouldn't be too hard, you can install the BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac, but you really don't even need that to just transfer a picture over.

Do you have a Media Card installed on the BlackBerry?

Look at Options > Memory

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I have downloaded the Desktop Software for my Mac and will proceed that way, I think. I didn't get a media card; didn't know I needed one. Another adventure on the learning curve's slippery slope. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all works out. Don't hold your breath, eh?

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums Michael! Smiley Happy

A couple of places for you to visit: Blackberry 101    Tips & Tricks

You are in excellent hands with JSanders. 

We are all very happy to have you here! Smiley Very Happy

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
New Contributor

'Blackberry should post a warning sign on their devices: 'Ya gotta be smarter than the phone'. No, I don't have a media card. Neglected to pick one up when I signed up. The Desktop software seems simple enough so when I eventually get the card, the universe should unfold as it should. . .Thanks very much for your help. . .

You are very welcome.

Good luck. Come back and ask questions if you need.

Knowledge Base Updates