Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Stressed vowels when composing SMS in Spanish

I live in Spain, so most of my SMS are texted in Spanish.

First, I have to say that the language is correctly configured as Spanish in "Options >> Language"

This is probably a known gap as I consulted many forums before posting here, and many people are experiencing the same problem without a solution so far.

When composing an SMS,stressed vowels (like á, é, í, ó, ú) should be selected by placing the finger on the vowel (not pushing), and selecting among the options provided.

Well, this only works with é, but not with the rest of the vowels.

This problem does not occur when composing e-mails, only with SMS, so there seems to be a software bug.

My version is 4.7.0.78.

Any news about a fix for this?

Contributor

Re: Stressed vowels when composing SMS in Spanish

When typing (must be in landscape) rest your finger over the letter and the other types of that letter will appear.  Then choose the character for your language.
New Contributor

When you rest your finger over the vowels in landscape, only letter E show you a stressed é.

This does not happen with the other 4 vowels. You don't even see the option for á, í, ó or ú. Other options like à or â are offered, but not the most common á, í, ó or ú.

This problem does not happen when composing an e-mail. The problem exists only when composing SMS.

This is not MY problem, as many other people report the same problem in many forums, without any fix as I know.

New Developer
My Device: iPhone 3G

I can confirm this is an SMS bug. I too use spanish characters all the time. There are no spanish letters (ñ or any accented characters) available when composing SMS (SMS body only).

This is a show stopper.

Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!
New Developer

I'm using BBOS 4.7.0.114 and this issue still exists.
New Developer

This really needs to be fixed. Absolutely stupid. I can't send spanish SMS to ANY of my spanish speaking friends. Why you may ask? Because of this:

ano = anus

año = year

See? The tilde over the n changes the word completely. 

Please RIM, fix this bug.. Because it is a bug.

Contributor

It is a VERY annoying bug..... and yes, it is only for SMS, it works for emails. PLEASE FIX IT!!!!!!!!
Regular Contributor

It's weird you can also get stressed vowels in bbm just fine
New Contributor

I have the exact same problem. What is even worse, is that the SmarType will not recognize words in spanish that have accents or ñ on them. I have struggle with it a lot and it might not seem like a big deal to some but it is really annoying.

PLEASE GIVE AS AN ANSWER. If it is something that cannot be fixed then at leasst tell us why.

I have also noticed that this happens on every other language. I have tried it in French and it is the same issue and have heard people that txt in Korean experiencing the same problem.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

YEAH PLEASE GIVE US AN ANSWER!! EVEN I HAVE NO STORM. I GOT A 8830

HERE I HAVE THTE SAME PROBLEM.

I AM SURE THAT THIS'S A DEFECT OR MISSED FEATURE OF BLACKBERRY OS.

Message Edited by junmin on 06-19-2009 12:30 AM