Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Stressed vowels when composing SMS in Spanish

Hello all,

While I don't work for RIM, I am one of the regulars who hangs out here trying to help out. I do apologize that no one has responded as of yet. I also have no way of conducting my own test about this, but from your reports this indeed feels like it needs an answer of some kind. As such, I have requested (separately) escalation to RIM for some assistance with at least understanding this.

To help that, would each of you kindly post your OS level as well as carrier? I don't know if the availability of certain characters is a carrier-controlled item or an OS-controlled item, but it would be good to know for the RIM escalation.

Please, from your homescreen, go to the Options Icon and select About. The third line of text will look something like this:

v4.7.0.148 (Platform 4.0.0.181)

The fourth octet of the first series denotes your OS level...so, in the example, I am on the .148 OS. Please post your OS level along with the name of your carrier (mine, as example, is Verizon Wireless in the USA).

With any luck, we can at least gain an understanding of this issue as to if it is OS-controlled or Carrier-controlled...and thereby understand how to proceed to seek resolution.

Thank you for your patience.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Hello again!

Well, we have a response from RIM already! Fast! I am impressed!!

It turns out that the carriers do indeed have the ability to restrict this fuction. RIM has already begun attempting to compile a list of which carriers do and do not restrict this -- but it has been very difficult as it changes quickly and frequently (and there are quite a lot of carriers in the world!).

But, please do post your carrier and OS level here nonetheless...that information shall I am sure be helpful to RIM in their investigation.

Cheers!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Hello

Thank you to finally give us a respond. I do believe it is because of the carrier because SMS are the only ones that have this problem and this are carrier restricted unlike the content on multimedia messeges and e-mails.

My OS is v4.7.0.148 (Platform 4.0.0.181)

My carrier is Verizon Wireless

Thank you for you respons and I hope that my information helps you on your research

Message Edited by AdrianLP5 on 06-19-2009 09:37 AM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

this is part of the limitation of SMS. Please read my previous explanation on this subject, here :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/search?submitted=true&type=message&sort_by=score&advanced=tr...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Hall of Famer III

Thanks, Xandrex! I'd done some searches but didn't use a search string adequate to find that post. Most helpful! Cheers to you, my friend!

New Contributor

@Xandrex

I tried to  change the charset but was unable to. When I go to Options>SMS text the only options that I see are "Priority""Disable AutText"  and "Number Of Previous Items"

I see nothing that says Data Coding.

I have a Blackberry Storm and my OS is v4.7.0.148 (Platform 4.0.0.181)

Please let me know if there is something I can do about it.

Thank you

Hall of Famer III

Update...

RIM has replied that indeed VZW restricts these characters in SMS. But you also may be interested to know that there is a bit of a debate about this topic going on (in a forum that you cannot see)...I await more details and shall keep you updated as those emerge.

Cheers!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Xandrex

It looks like that the option is not found in CDMA version Blackberry OS. at least, i have not it here.

here

os version is v. 4.5.0  135(plataform 3.4.0.28)

carrier: iusacell

Is it a carrier problem? are you sure guys? the os i am using is from Spring and spanish support installed, and i tried the os from Iusacell Mexico before, either do the job, as a spanish speaking country, Iusacell doesnt support the first language spanish, is it crazy? as well as what i know, cause i asked around, i can confirm that using others cellphones like motorola, LG, spanish accent is well supported.

thanks for your help.

Message Edited by junmin on 06-19-2009 01:41 PM
Contributor

any update?
Contributor

hello guys, maybe you want to see this scrrenshot, there is no Data Coding option in CDMA devices.