Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10 and a couple of Torches
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

Support Procedure for Employee Purchase phones

What is the hardware support procedure if you appear to have a hardware problem with a Z10 purchased through the EPP diagnosed with BBVE?  It's a no contract unlocked Z10, less than a week old.  Light sensor is constantly reading 0 Lux.  Won't adjust for darkness or bright ambient.  I have to keep it on maximum brightness for when I walk outside which I assume is helping to kill the battery quickly.

Other symptoms: 

- Occasional software freezes in Hub requiring hard reboot. 

- Back of the unit feels quite warm... way warmer than my Torches and Curve previously

-  Battery is <20% by 2pm each day.  WiFi and Network on, no GPS, NFC.  < 45 mins talk time before that point. 

-  "Battery Doctor" app reading 4000V on battery and 200 deg C. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Support Procedure for Employee Purchase phones

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

All BB devices do not have the same warranty terms...warranty is a matter that is set up at the time of purchase, as part of the original purchase agreement. Warranty servicing varies by region...sometimes it is the original place of purchase that provides the warranty service, other times there are authorized service centers to provide that, and still other times the original place of purchase may have subcontracted out warranty service to some other entity. But, the original purchase contract is where those terms get spelled out...you need to review that to see what those terms are, for there is no way to tell you any "blanket" answer to your question; each purchase contract can provide whatever warranty terms both parties agree to. Some provide more than BlackBerry supports (on the "back end"), others provide equal terms, others still provide no warranty at all. What your specific terms are is a contractual matter between you and your original place of purchase...whatever terms both parties agreed to is what dictates those terms for you.

If you have no documentation concerning that, then I'd recommend you contact the EPP representative you dealt with for the purchase.

There also might be some good reading here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for that link.  This is the first phone I've purchased with no warranty information in the box, so that helped.  Still doesn't tell me who to contact for support though.

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam/blackBerry/pdf/legal/northAmerica/english/Handheld_Limited_Warr...

It's not Carrier purchased, and I don't tweet, so this link sent me to these forums.

I'm in the Greater Toronto Area, waiting for my friend at BBRY to Email me back.

Additional info:

STL100-3

Latest 10.1.0.273 Software release (just updated yesterday, problem before and after update)

Blackberry Virtual Expert says the phone has no light sensor when other Z10 users get a reading

Gadget Box apps shows Lux reading of 0 in any lighting situation

Reboots don't help

Screen brightness doesn't change in sunlight or a dark room so I have to leave it pegged at full brightness

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Slowpoke842 wrote:

Still doesn't tell me who to contact for support though.

The BlackBerry warranty information, which I linked, is what BlackBerry will extend...but the servicing of that is NOT from BlackBerry directly (unless they were your original purchase source). Hence, what that information provides is the standard warranty that BlackBerry will support, as services by the formal channels (Service Centers, Original Places Of Purchase, etc.). But, those terms can be altered by the original purchase contract...and that contract will be binding, overriding the standard warranty if that is what the two parties to the purchase contract agree to.

Your your formal support channels were determined at your time of purchase, as part of your purchase contract. Since no one here was party to that contract, there's no way for us to read it for you and tell you what it says. Consequently...back to what I recommended earlier...contacting the EPP rep you used for the purchase.

Slowpoke842 wrote:
It's not Carrier purchased

It does not matter...what matters is the contractual original place of purchase...that is where the support terms and methods would have been determined, as part of the original purchase contract. It is entirely possible (and legal, AFAIK) to purchase a device yet have zero warranty or support at all. Whatever terms the two parties (buyer, seller) agree to will dominate.

Slowpoke842 wrote:

I'm in the Greater Toronto Area, waiting for my friend at BBRY to Email me back.

For your formal support channels, you need to hear back from your EPP rep (I'm assuming that is what your "friend at BBRY" is).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

In short:  If you bought off a friend, your friend holds that warranty support for hardware. Perhaps BlackBerry will support a warranty for the employee friend.. for you as a third party, I dunno. That's a question for your friend and EPP as sdgardne stated.

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like any hardware problems (perhaps the screen brightness, but maybe not). If you'd perform an upgrade on the device OS, it'll likely fix those issue... and then you'll know if it's hardware.

How to Reload your Blackberry10 OS

Or, if you want to upgrade the OS:

Upgrading OS10 devices using Autoloader

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Fix in process.  Thank you folks.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

What's your fix?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Reinstalling from scratch still had the same problem. BBVE now says proximity and light sensor are not installed on my unit. I thought it was only the light sensor before reinstalling... ah well.

You were correct, it appears that all support has to go through the Blackberry employee originating the purchase. I was hoping to avoid bothering him with a hardware issue after he was nice enough to help me out getting this phone. But... seems it must go this way. The unit will be swapped.