Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Supported formats for capturing audio

I need to capture audio in PCM format.

According to the JDE 4.6.0 Multimedia Guide:

"The BlackBerry® smartphone uses two formats to record audio: Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) and 8 kHz mono-16-bit pulse code modulation (PCM). By default, the format is AMR.

PCM: capture://audio?encoding=pcm or capture://audio?encoding=audio/basic"

However, when I run the code:

Manager.createPlayer( "capture://audio?encoding=pcm" );

This works on a Pearl 8100, but on a Pearl 8330, I get a MediaException, with the error:

Unsupported record encoding type

Do all handsets support PCM encoding? If not, where would I find out the capabilities of the different models?

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Supported formats for capturing audio

Supported audio formats by BlackBerry -

The following audio formats (including extensions) are supported:
  • ACC - audio compression formats AAC, AAC+, and EAAC+
  • AMR - Adaptive Multi Rate-Narrow Band (AMR-NB) speech coder standard

Supported AMR-NB rates are 4.75 KBps, 5.15 KBps, 5.9 KBps, 6.7 KBps, 7.4 KBps, 7.95 KBps, 10.2 KBps, and 12.2 KBps.

AMR files must conform to the standards specified in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request for Comments (RFC) document RFC3267, Section 5, on the Internet RFC Archive web site.

• MIDI - Polyphonic MIDI (.mid, .midi, or .smf)
  • MP3 - encoded using MPEG Part 1 and Part 2 audio layer 3

Supported sample rates are 16kHz, 22.050kHz, 24kHz, 32kHz, 44.1kHz, and 48kHz.

• WAV - supports sample rates of 8 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, and 48 kHz with 8-bit and 16-bit depths in mono or stereo

WAV files created using audio codec GSM6.10 are supported. However, BlackBerry 8830 series smartphones do not natively support Global Systems for Mobile Communications® (GSM®) encoding and require the BlackBerry Attachment Service from either the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or the BlackBerry® Internet Service. See KB13547 for more information.

Note: Playback of WAV files received as email message attachments requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2 (4.1.2).

Note: If the BlackBerry smartphone user has a BlackBerry Internet Service 2.3 account with BlackBerry Device Software 4.2 or later, WAV voice mail files will work.

Windows Media Audio (WMA 9) Standard Profile Decoder

• WMA 10 Professional M0 Profile Decoder

WMA 9 Profile Decoder and WMA 10 M0 Profile Decoder are only supported by BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 or later. See KB05419 for more information.

The following audio file extensions are also supported (depending on BlackBerry smartphone model and BlackBerry Device Software version):

• .avi containing PCM, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, H.263, MPEG4-SP, MPEG4-ASP, uLaw/aLaw, GSM610
  • .3gp containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, H.263, MPEG4-SP, MPEG4-ASP, uLaw/aLaw, AMR-NB
  • .mp4 containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, H.263, MPEG4-SP, MPEG4-ASP, uLaw/aLaw, AMR-NB
  • >.mov containing MP3, AMR-NB, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, H.263, MPEG4-SP, MPEG4-ASP, uLaw/aLaw, AMR-NB
  • .wmv containing WMV, WMA9/10Pro
  • .aac and .m4a containing AAC, AAC+, eAAC+
  • .wav containing PCM, uLaw/aLaw, GSM610

Note: Support is available for streaming stereo audio over a Bluetooth® connection (A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles) on the following BlackBerry smartphone models:

• BlackBerry® 8800 Series smartphones (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later)
  • BlackBerry Curve 8300 Series smartphone (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later)
  • BlackBerry Pearl 8100 Series smartphones (running BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 or later)

Note: DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright protected files will not play on BlackBerry smartphones.

Source: KB05482 

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Developer

Thanks Tanzim for your response. That is useful information, however, these supported formats appear to apply to playback rather than recording of audio.

I don't suppose there are any documents describing the recording capabilities of the various BlackBerry models?

Peter

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Check the below knowledge base. Let me know if it helps.

Convert audio and video files for the media application on the BlackBerry smartphone

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Developer

Thanks Tanzim for the info. It isn't exactly what I'm trying to find out, but I think you've probably given me as much info as is available.

I also found this how to record audio link, which may be of use to others trying to find the supported recorder audio formats.