Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 OS: 7.1.0 Bundle 2061
My Carrier: Orange (UK)
Accepted Solution

Suspected OS Corruption. How to...

[ Edited ]

Good afternoon,

I've had my device for 3 months now.  Other than a couple of grumbles with my provider, I've been extremely happy with it (I used to have a 9000 using BES at work which I loved).

I've set this up to backup via wifi on a weekly basis which has functioned correctly.

However, a few days ago, through app world I installed a screen grabber (sorry I forget the name) and then at the request of a friend I went to the Samsung page (firstly checking compatibility) and downloaded/installed Chaton their chat system.

Now one of these apps seems to have corrupted my phone (i've since uninstalled both).  The unit now freezes at times, all apps are 'slow' but worse the screen fonts, where you see Calender events on the device desktop are not the size they should be (these appear ok in all other aspects of the phone).  I've tried using other preinstalled fonts and sizes, then changing back to arial 7 but still the font looks like arial 12 bold.  

During this period, I've soft and double soft reset the device numerous times and had to do a hard pull too.

I have restored from three backups (3 months old, 2 and then 1) but still the same problem applies.

I have been to crackberry.com which seems to be a cracking site, where it was suggested I completely wipe the unit and reinstall the OS.  I'm a little concerned that I may encounter problems (do i need settings or s/ware from my provider Orange?).  I dont want to end up with a dead brick.  I bought this unit 3 months ago on a 24month contract, 2 months ago I lost my job and though I am honour bound to ensure I keep paying for my contract, I can't afford to simply pay for a device I can't use).

Also at the top of the screen, where you see Notifications, such as Mail or social media (I used Facebook), these do not always disappear when the notificiation is read.  It currently shows a large number of unread mails and FB notifications.   It seems that the screen doesn't refresh, perhaps this is related to the font issue??

Would it be possible for someone to advise what I should do next.   I've even been to an Orange store for help but was told as I bought this online, I need to seek online help (is this correct?).

I am happy and willing to follow any instructions given though I may need a little assistance.

PS.  As I use MS Word and Excel docs on this, I've even connected my device to my laptop and run an AV scan just to ensure I haven't somehow put a virus on it.

Thanking you in advance.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 OS: 7.1.0 Bundle 2061
My Carrier: Orange (UK)

Re: Suspected OS Corruption. How to...

OK I've spoken directly with Orange. I've performed a wipe though the security screen. It has resolved my problem.