Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Switch from BlackBerry Curve to Bold produces a Windows Blue Screen

Hi,

I am using BlackBerry devices for quite a while now. I just got a new Bold and wanted to migrate from my Curve 8320 to the Bold. Therefore, I tried: 

1) Switch Device Wizard 

This is supposed to copy my data from the Curve to the hard drive. Then I got prompted to connect the new device (Bold), select it and confirm. I did this and as soon as the loader wanted to write data to the Bold my Windows crashed and I had a blue screen ("bad usb driver" or so, sorry, don't have a screen shot of this).

2) Backup and Restore

I suppose this is basically the "manual version" of the device switch wizard. However, I made a backup of my Curve, disconnected it, connected the Bold and tried to restore the backup to the Bold. Same result: Windows crashed with Blue Screen as soon as the writing process started.

I even tried to upgrade the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to the most recent version. Now I got BDM v4.7.0.32 running. This new version even suggested to update my BlackBerry Bold's OS. I thought this is a good idea because an older BB OS might cause the crashes. I proceeded with that but this wasn't successful either. I received the error: "A fatal error occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again." I tried again, and received the same result.

I am running Windows XP with the most recent SP in a Virtual Machine from VMWare on a Mac OS X (most recent version of both).

Curve Details: 8320, v4.5.0.44, platform 2.7.0.61

Bold Details: 9000, v4.6.0.62, platform 4.0.0.155

It would be great if there is someone who can help me. I actually just want to use the Bold instead of the Curve.

P.S.: It would also be great if there would be a full-blown BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac OS X like you have for Windows Smiley Happy

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Switch from BlackBerry Curve to Bold produces a Windows Blue Screen

Try this please,

1- download the last software device for the Blackberry Bold to the Pc.

2- with the Blackberry desktop manager closed, run the last software installed

3- open the desktop manager and connect the device.

Let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Switch from BlackBerry Curve to Bold produces a Windows Blue Screen

Hi,

thanks a lot for the help.

Fortunately, I didn't need to try this. The problem seemed to be my Virtual Machine which did not have USB 2.0 support switched on. This caused the BlackBerry / USB driver of Windows to crash the whole OS. I switched it on, bootet Windows and could upgrade my Bold's BlackBerry OS to the most recent version.

After this was successful, the device switch wizard worked fine as well and I am using the Bold now instead of my Curve 8320. Smiley Happy

I gonna write a more detailed review on this on my blog soon. Check it out if you want to.