Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Switching Off the Blackberry Bold

OK, I know this sounds stupid, but what is the correct procedure to switch off and reboot the Blackberry Bold? I hav tried holding in the Power Key, I get the message Shutting down, press a key to abort, I leave it alone, and the backlight goes out, left it alone for up to 10 minutes, and then pressed the Power Key again and the phone comes alive instantly, with the phone in the same position as when I wanted it switched off, i.e. it looks like it was just in sleep mode, as it powers up within a second. I have resorted to removing the battery but this is getting laborious. And I acnnot locate the info in the manual, it just states press the Power Key! I have also tried holding it down till it seems to power off, but alas it is still going into sleep mode, please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Switching Off the Blackberry Bold

To reset the device you have 2 ways to do it.

1- take out the battery and put again

2- Press at the same time alt + aA (in the right side) + del

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Please mark the thread was solved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700

How do you not get the original question above? HOW DO YOU SWITCH OFF ie OFF meaning OFF the Blackberry Bold 9700 without having to remove the battery? Off means: no longer recieving phone calls, alarms, alerts, or ANYTHING, ie swithcing it OFFFF!!! Like in the old days when you switch off a radio, you get NOTHING out of it UNTIL you switch it ON!!

My God! I never thought I would ever encounter a gray definition of on or off. But hey, here we go...!!!

New Contributor
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: teletalk

exactly!!! this doesnt solve the problem

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

[ Edited ]

Hi

Once the OS is loaded, i.e. the device has booted from battery insertion, the power button puts the device in sleep/standby.

I think this is by design, otherwise the user would have to wait 5 minutes for it to boot every time they switched it on to reload the OS.

Nobody would want that, would they?

New Contributor
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: teletalk

This thing didnt happen before. I am experiencing this since a day or two. And it hasnt been a month i have been using blackberry
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

All the BlackBerry Bold's and Curve's I've worked with go into standby when you press the power button.

Maybe the 9790 is different, so somebody else will have to confirm the normal behaviour for that device.

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You're posting in a four year old thread.

What is the issue?

Depressing the standby/power button should put the device in standby or sleep mode.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code