Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sync Storm with MAc

Enable the mass storage feature on your device and then connect to your mac. This did the job for me.  Hope this helps.
New Contributor

Update: I was able to do a fresh re-install on my girlfriend's white plastic Intel Macbook running 10.4.11 and now the Storm is able to sync!! The only thing I did differently is just to install pocketmac and immediately after without restarting install the 3.1.2 driver update.

HOWEVER, trying to sync my Storm and MY Powerbook G4 running 10.4.11 is still not working. I uninstalled and deleted every pockmac/syncmanager file I could find. i reinstalled pocketmac and the most updated driver 3.1.2. The Storm and mac don't even recognize each other. Under options I have Media Card support "On", encryption "none", MTP "off", Mass storage support "on", Auto enable mass storage mode when connected "yes". I've even set that to "prompt" at different times. I did notice that when the sync worked on my girlfriend's Intel Mac that initially the mass storage prompt came up. This does not even happen with my computer. I still get the "error 1: skipping" message every time I sync. Any help would be much appreciated....

I did what Ezzy18 did and my phone is sync'd. I also have a brand new mac book pro and it worked fine.
Highlighted

I managed to get my new Storm to sync with my iMac by setting up the Storm as a mass media storage device (MMSD). I did this by downloading the latest PocketMacForBlackberry 4.1.25 software and the additional driver update 3.1.1, completely un-installing the previous software, removing the files and folders mentioned in Doc ID KB10438 and then installing PocketMacForBlackberry 4.1.25 and the USB update. To set the Storm up as a MMSD I went to Options  and then Memory,  and then set Mass Storage Mode Support to on, Media Transfer Protocol to on and set Auto enable Mass storage mode When Connected to yes. Hope this helps. I still can't get it to sync my stickies, but at least I can call people and won't be late for meetings :smileyhappy:
New Contributor

I also had a problem syncing by new BB 9350 to my 8-Core Mac Pro, running Leopard 10.5.5. I read through all the advice in the thread and finally it came down to installing the 3.1.2 driver update. Everything up to that point did not work.

Anyway I just wanted to put that out there in case it may help someone else.

What led to the 3.1.2 update instead on the 3.1.1 one, was a post on the PocketMac support site which claimed that if you had a 9350 OR an Aluminum MacBook OR both (?), then you needed to use the 3.1.2 driver update. If you don't have either - they say not to use it. Sorry, have lost that link.

I also wanted to send out Kudos to everyone on this thread for their effort is trying to help everyone. Without people like you, no problems would ever get resolved, especially if we were forced to rely on tech support.

Thanks again... 

I joined this forum just to spread the news-- after playing with the storm all day, and attempting everything listed here to sync with my mac, I have finally figured out the problem.  If you have mac OS 10.4, do NOT install the USB driver update.  After installing and re-installing several times, and failing, I decided to try to connect after installing the pocketmac program without the update, and that did the trick.  Hope this helps so that someone else doesn't end up as frustrated as I was all day.
New Contributor

Re: Sync Storm with Mac

I have a BB Storm with a MacBook Pro (bought early in 2008) - I was able to get the Spanning Sync software to sync my calendar (iCal) and contacts (Address Book) and I use GMAIL (I used IMAP feature) to sync email (to standard Mac Mail program).  After a little initial hassle, Spanning Sync seems to all be working OK.  Initial sync takes a long time.  Sync on the calendar and contacts seems to have random delays and is unpredictable as to when it will sync but it is usually all synced by the end of the day (which is not ideal but good enough for our purposes).   If you can't get anything else to work it's worth a try.  Spanning Sync has a 15 day free trial - I'd recommend doing that and then buying the 1 year subscription in case a better solution comes out.

GMAIL - Email sync with Gmail works great (make sure you look for the forum thread to prevent emails you send from showing up in your inbox;  also, with Gmail if you delete on your laptop it doesn't delete on the phone, but if you delete on the phone it deletes on the laptop - caused by how gmail flags things as being deleted rather than actually deleting them).   

I originally was using Entourage 2008, which synced to iCal and Addressbook via the Entourage functionality and then to Gmail using Spanning sync and then to the Storm via the gmail.  However, this proved to be haphazard so I just dumped Entourage completely.  We've found the switch from Entourage to the standard Mac to be good enough - lose a little bit but the Mac stuff works pretty well. 

I also have a G4 Powerbook and I am running OS 10.5.6. I was running 10.4.11, but upgraded to 10.5.6 with the same results.  I received my Storm yesterday and spent 3 hours on the phone with RIM with no success and another 8 hours on my own. I also uninstalled PocketMac and tried Missing Sync, but neither will recognize the Storm.

My guess is that the problem lies in the G4 Powerbook's USB 1. Any ideas?

Contributor

I too have spent MANY HOURS with this new STORM. It really shouldn't be this difficult to find information. I hope the techies are reading this thread!!

One thing that fixed my issues was to NOT plug in the BB until after I opened the Pocket Mac. Who knows why??? But it now works.

The only reason I didn't return the BB was because I threw away the box and receipts. Thanks for letting me rant!

New Contributor

Re: Sync Storm with Mac

I think the Pocketmac requires yo uto plug the phone into your computer (?) rather than wirelessly syncing - if that's the case you should really checkout Spanning Sync - it syncs contacts / calendar wirelessly, so no plug in to the computer is required