Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Sync Storm with MAc

I've had my Storm 5 days now and i love it it's my first Blackberry, absolutely the coolest gadget I ever got :smileyhappy: ok so it has a few quirky little bugs 'n stuff but no worse than the Sony Ericsson's I've been used to since mobile phones were invented... 

First thing I tried to do was synch it with my Mac (a slightly older, Power PC G5) with the latest version of Leopard, I installed PocketMac for BB and.....nothing :smileysad: it simply does NOT work at all doesn't see the phone...nada. And the killer blow is that an ENTIRE folder of my most important current spreadsheets somehow got chewed up in the process of installing that useless software. :manmad: (No they weren't backed up) they're lost - gone forever - can't retrieve them...

So I'm wondering how you other folks managed to even establish some form of comm between the 2 devices...when I told the dude at the BB shop I'm a Mac user he said "oh, no problem, that's the beauty of BB they work with all platforms" lol nothing could be further from the truth. 

Blackberry get your act together. Can't help thinking maybe I should've got that iPhone...

New Contributor

I hate to say this - but it's my firm recommendation that you should return the Blackberry and go with an iPhone (or whatever other phone is proven to work with Mac).    I've tried to get the Mac and the Storm play nice and, while it will work for a while, I have tried every solution described and can't get anything to work reliably over time - works some of the time, maybe most of the time, just not 99% of the time which is the reason I bought a Blackberry in the first place - the reputation for it simply working well with email / contacts / address - I can do without the rest of the bells and whistles.   From the rants on all the sites I've seen, this just doesn't work well.   If I had the chance to return mine / exchange it, I would in a heartbeat.  I've concluded that if you own a Mac, you need to stick with Apple products if you want reliability and true compatability - anything else just kind of works, sometimes.

Who knows, maybe it'll get get fixed in the upcoming months - otherwise I might end up sending this thing right into the lake.

I say this as a Blackberry diehard (Blackberry for work) - I don't particularly care for the iPhone keyboard, so I'm not zome Apple zealot.  I've just seen over the past tow months the number of people dumping dozens of hours into something that should work within 30 minutes of trying.

Contributor

Libbing, you're so right - I think one has to just accept that some marriages aren't made in heaven...but like you, I can't return my Storm, in fact I'm stuck with it on a contract for the next 22 months...then again I considered waiting for the new iPhone which may just appear in about June or July, decided I didn't want to wait so i took the plunge. Despite all the rants and raves I read beforehand, I still feel happy with my decision. So, accepting the things I cannot change, I hook my Storm up to my dreaded Windows XP PC, and presto it works! Maybe not as slick and simple as Mac, but hey...  :smileywink:

Contributor

Hey dear Libbing,

Well I got it to work! Check out this forum:

BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Re: Storm and Mac - SUCCESS!! - BlackBerry 9500 Series Smartph...

regards

Raoul 

New Contributor

You are GOD! Thank you a million times...

took the battery out of my Storm

Changed the mode to accepting mass media storage --

and VOILA! The baby synced beautifully.

I am such a happy person tonight 

Contributor

katymoo,

thanks for the kudos glad i could help :smileyhappy: well actually it's not me - I'm just a newbie to blackberries - but all credit to this great support community, which is where i got the tips from...

Yeay!!!  All it takes to sync storm with pocketmac is enabling mass storage on the device.  I just went to options-memory-and auto enable mass storage mode when connected.  Then just connect with USB and it synced!!  Thanks for the advice!
New Contributor

Not only cant I sync my ical... I can't exactly figure out how to post a question - feeling like an invalid!!!  My storm sync's - or looks like it does but the ical info is not coming or going.... it asks me questions about info on my mac and not on my device - i am given the option to restore, which I click but nothing happens...

Can someone help...

T

Super Contributor

Highlighted

I had the problem and here is what I did:
If you noticed it, when you connect your usb the first thing that appear is the CLOCK, click the blackberry bottom then click options and in "When Charging" look for "Enter Besides Mode", the go back and SAVE. Disconnect the USB and connect it again, it will appear in your screen: "EXIT BESIDES MODE" click yes and the SYNC...

For me worked perfectly...