08-03-2009 12:33 PM
I too have been pulling my hair out on this same problem. What I finally discovered was the Outlook, not my Storm, was the culprit. I had mistakenly assumed that the Tools->Options->Other->Auto Archive settings applied to the calendar as well. They don't. There is a separate setting elsewhere (I shouldn't have been surprised). To check if Outlook calendar archiving is also causing your problem, right-click on the outlook calender in the folder view; select "Properties;" click the "Auto Archive" tab, and review these settings carefully. In my case, the auto-archive setting had somehow changed to 4 weeks (I didn't have this problem in months past).
08-29-2010 11:27 PM
I had the same problem on my Curve 8310... 3 calendars, data gone haywire... LOL I've posted a fix in the BB forums here:
You can/should merge everything into one calendar, get rid of the other calendars, and check your service books to be sure you have only one [CICAL] listed. The link I posted should help break this down in detail, and I've got a link in my profile for multiple calendar issues that could help you as well.