Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Sync'ing to a Specific Outlook Profile

Check the attachments at the bottom of this post. You don't have these options?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

jmrmb80 wrote:
Check the attachments at the bottom of this post. You don't have these options?

jmrmb80 -

Sorry to jump in in the middle of all this, but I think I understand what sporras is saying. (I am also researching to help another user in another thread and you just happpened to touch on a question I have in this thread) Smiley Happy

I am running DTM 4.6 without MM. 

When I follow your suggestions, all I have are the following choices in the options menu in DTM:

- Connection options

- Data folder options

- Hide when minimized

I only have one profile set up in Outlook so maybe that is why I don't see the profiles option.  Side question; if you want to maintain two calendars in Outlook, say for 2 different people or 1 person with 2 different calendars (business & personal); is that done by changing the .pst file in Outlook for each person AND changing the profile option in DTM to conduct a sync for each person's BB?

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

I run 2 profiles, one for my contacts, and one for my calendar. What I did was

1. go into Synchronize in DTM (4.7)

2. Under "Configuration" click on "Synchronization"

3. Click on the tab next to "Configure synchronization settings for my desktop program"

4. A window should pop up with Calendar, MemoPad, Address Book, Tasks

5. Click on whichever one you want to configure and then select "setup"

6. Go through the wizard and it will ask you which outlook profile you want to use in one of the pages.

That should do it, it works perfectly for me.
Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
Elite I

[ Edited ]

Irwinll, yes I believe the Profile Options won't be there if only 1 Outlook profile is setup. At work I have 2 profiles, so I see that option. I just checked on my home computer and I don't see that choice listed because I only have 1 profile setup.

As for the side question are you asking how to sync multiple calendars from Outlook to the BlackBerry? Are they 2 seperate calendars in the same mailbox? Or is one a subfolder of the main calendar?

I know you can go into the Synchronization options and tell the Desktop manager whichcalendar you want to sync with from a person's profile. I don't think it lets you select other folders that aren't a part of your Mailbox

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 06-04-2009 11:03 AM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Forums Veteran III

jmrmb80 wrote:

Irwinll, yes I believe the Profile Options won't be there if only 1 Outlook profile is setup. At work I have 2 profiles, so I see that option. I just checked on my home computer and I don't see that choice listed because I only have 1 profile setup.

As for the side question are you asking how to sync multiple calendars from Outlook to the BlackBerry? Are they 2 seperate calendars in the same mailbox? Or is one a subfolder of the main calendar?

I know you can go into the Synchronization options and tell the Desktop manager whichcalendar you want to sync with from a person's profile. I don't think it lets you select other folders that aren't a part of your Mailbox

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 06-04-2009 11:03 AM

jmrmb80 - Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case regarding the options menu, but sporras says he has (and has had) two Outlook Profiles; one for his personal email and the other for his business.  Wouldn't that allow him to see the option you are suggesting in the 'options' menu?

This is the other thread I am working on:  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=48689 

There are two users, two BB's, and they both want to sync to Outlook once they get set up.  Clarification please; an Outlook profile is another way of describing my entries in Outlook i.e. what I "see" and enter my organizer data into in Outlook, correct?  So how do multiple people using one installation of Outlook sync to their individual BB's?  Does each have their own .pst file in Outlook and then you change the datafile to sync using the "options" menu option you are describing with sporras?

I didn't want to start a 3rd thread (already have this one and the other one I'm working on) so I thought I'd tag along here since it is a similar situation, but not exactly.  Smiley Wink  Have searched to find how to set up multiple Outlook users and how to separately sync their individual data to their individual BB's to no avail.  Maybe I'm using the wrong search criteria or terms.   How do you suggest that I proceed?

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Irwinll:

With outlook you can create multiple profiles if say you have several users using the same computer but want to separately view their own emails/calender/contacts in Outlook. In Win XP if you go to Control Panel>Mail>Show Profiles you will see the profiles setup on the computer. When starting Outlook, if you have more than one profile configured, it will ask you which one you want to use. To go into another profile you will have to shut down outlook and start it up again. Each profile should have its own .pst file as far as I can tell. I think DM will have separate Sync settings setup for each BB that connects to it (I can't verify this) so you should be able to sync each BB to a different outlook profile.As posted earlier in the thread, I sync my calender and address book to separate Outlook profiles on one blackberry.

Although I'm a BB newbie I know Outlook pretty well so I hope this was useful Smiley Happy 

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
Elite I

Not sure why he's not seeing it under Options.Waiting for him to get back to me on that.

As far as the Profiles it describes what you see when you open Outlook. You can create seperate profiles under Control Panel | Mail | Show Profiles (or in Vista you might have to go into the "View 32 bit control panel items" to find the mail icon). In that screen you can choose which profile is the default when starting Outlook or have it prompt you which profile you want to start Outlook with.

For each username on a PC, Outlook stores the profile data under thier user folders:

• In XP the default path is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
  • In Vista the default path is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

So for each username on a PC they have seperate profile and they cannot see the other person's profile in the Control Panel's Mail icon. So a person can choose which profile(s) they want to sync with.

Does that make sense?   Smiley Happy

Elite I

Oh yeah. Good one kijanasmart. Forgot you could get in that way. We'll see if he has any luck doing that.
Forums Veteran III

Whew, overload!!!  Smiley Very Happy

So additional profiles in Outlook are set up in control panel-mail--show profiles rather than in Outlook itself?  I guess that anyone with an email address who works on that pc would have their own profile in control panel-mail-profiles?  Cannot ever remember actually looking at that before. Smiley Surprised  They don't set up their own .pst in Outlook via file-new (or something like that?)  I'm at work right now and blind in that I have no DTM or Outlook screens to look at for reference.  It may make more sense to check back when I can actually reference some screens once at home. Smiley Tongue

I have searched Outlook help from home, but couldn't find what I was really looking for.  I'm a single, new Outlook user so I haven't run into the question of multiple users on 1 pc "sharing" Outlook before now. 

Kijanasmart - I am working on the assumption that since each BB has its own PIN, then DTM would recognize that and each user would have the option to configure their own synchronization settings per their own Outlook profile.  How would they make the selection to choose their profile from within the DTM sync settings screen? 

I might suggest both kijanasmart and jmrmb80 "consult" with me on the above mentioned thread. That is one of the things I like most about the forums.  The collective wisdom is amazing.  Smiley Very Happy

IrwinII
Elite I

OK. More overload time.   Smiley Happy

Well when you first open Outlook you will get the mail setup wizard that appears. Doing this sets up your profile. You can setup additional accounts under Tools | Email Accounts | Add a New Email Account, or through the Mail applet in Control Panel where you hit the Add button. Either will bring up the setup wizard.

Regardless which way it's done,  when a profile is setup it can store email in one of 2 places:

• PST - if your setting up a personal email account it will store all email in a PST file. If you have an exchange account you also have the option of changing the delivery location from the server Mailbox to a PST file. Today's PST file format has a theoretical limit of 20GB so you can store a lot of email it in. Some people with exchange accounts do this so they don't have to worry about dealing with mailbox quotas. Also with an exchange account, if the delivery location is et to Mailbox you can create a PST (or archive folder as they're sometimes called) to move emails in there so you're mailbox doesn't get full.
  • OST -  if you have an exchange account, have have cached exchange mode turned on, or have offline folders setup, Outlook will store a copy of the server email in this file. It's an offline file that allows you to access your email without having a connection to the server. 

So since it sounds like we're dealing with someone at home with a personal email account, all of their email will be in a PST file.