Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Sync problem with 2 computers

I have a very frustrating problem with my Blackberry.

I sync my BB with my desktop computer and my laptop.  Things happen smoothly and with no errors - but it is very difficult to get the same information on all three devices.

When I change an item (Task, Contact, Calendar, or Note) on computer A, the BB is updated with that information, as it should be.  Where the problem arises is when I subsequently sync with computer B.  At that point, the sync doesn't recognize that the information on the BB has changed, so it doesn't update on computer B.  Then if I change the same item on computer B, it overwrites the previous change on the BB, so I lose the first change that had gotten there from computer A.  After a while, computers A and B are very different in their data, and the BB is a random combination of the 2.

The only way I have found around this problem is go to the item (after the first sync above) in the BB, edit it, and save it.  At that point, computer B now recognizes that the item has changed on the BB, and it updates the item on computer B.

Since I make frequent changes on both computers, this whole process is a tremendous hassle.

There must be a flag in the BB that is set when an item is updated on the BB, but it doesn’t get set after a sync-driven change.  Hence the subsequent sync doesn’t know about the change, and treats the item’s data as old.

The thing of it is, I used a series of Treos for years, and never had this kind of problem.  This is the one area that makes me regret having switched mobile platforms – and it’s a big, daily regret.

I have updated the desktop software to the latest version (several times), without this behavior being affected.

Here are my system specifics:

Blackberry:

Verizon World Edition

Model 8830

Firmware version V4.2.2.176

Desktop manager version 4.6.0.12

Computers:

Windows XP

Outlook 2003

Help?

Thanks!

- Nate

Re: Sync problem with 2 computers

I am having this same issue. I have spent hours searching forums for a solution. natehine, have you found any solution? anyone else have any ideas? I have a pearl 8130 through sprint and per their website I am using desktop manager 4.3. However, thinking DM 4.7 would fix the issue I upgraded and still had the same problem (so I have reverted back to 4.3). I can sync fine on one PC but once I try to sync changes to the other PC (doesn't matter which order) I they are not recognized. Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.
New Contributor

Re: Sync problem with 2 computers

I still don't have a solution.

But I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the problem!