Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Sync problems

I have recently purchased a blackberry after using Palm treos for a long time. I have been having huge problems transfering the information to my bb.

First I tried using the BB Desktop Manager, connected both the BB and Treo and clicked on the "Next" tab but the options to transfer info from Palm or Windows device are both shadowed, so there is no option for clicking on the boxes.

I used the Palm OS with my treos, so I exported files and tried to access them through the synch configuration, but no luck either. I ended up passing all my info to MS outlook and all I have been able to transfer has been my contacts without any address info, pretty much the phones and that's it. The last thing I tried was to configure the synch with ASII files (where outlook saves all the info) but still no information is transfered.

Looking through the setup in the synch I have found that there is an option for the outlook express, but that one only has email contacts, I haven't found a way to transfer that option to MS outlook.

Any help would be highly appreciated

New Contributor

Re: Sync problems

I also have been having problems.  I called Blackberry.com and spent 2 hours on the phone with them to no avail.  I'm trying to transfer my outlook calendar and address book and it doesn't give me this option on the desktop manager.  I tried linking to an asii file but it comes back with an error of 0x80040057.  Any help would be much appreciated. 
Solutions: 6,377
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Alex, I have transferred a couple Palm devices over, without a problem.

You should be able to cleanly do it via either method you have described. IF you now have all your information in Outlook just set up your Outlook > BlackBerry sync configuration and MAP the fields between your Outlook and BB.

1. Connect your BlackBerry® device to your computer.

2. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

3. Double-click Synchronize.

4. On the Configuration tab, click Configure synch.

5. Select the Address Book check box.

6. Click Configure > Advanced Settings.

7. Click Field Mapping.

8. Map a field in the right column to a custom address book field in the left column.

9. Click OK.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

I am also having a problem sync my new Blackberry Curve 8310.   I previously had a Palm Treo 650.   I was finally able to sync the contacts from my Palm to my Blackberry.   I am assuming just like the Palm Treo software I can also view the contacts on my desktop, but I have not been able to view the contacts on the Blackberry Desktop Manager software.    Where do I view this information, that I might have downloaded, there is now tab for the software that allows me to manager my contacts and my calender.   

I use Outlook express for my emails is there any way I can make the Outlook Express the primary software on my desktop for managing my contacts and my calender and being able to sync to my Blackberry.

Yes, the Desktop Manager software does not include an address book interface. RIM chose not to reinvent the wheel with yet another desktop application when Outlook and others do quite well at it.

So. Yes, sync to Outlook Express for the Contacts, but i don't belive Outlook Express includes a calendar... been years since I used it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

JSanders I have tried the mapping but I still can't pass the info from MS Outlook (not Outlook Express which only has email information).

I have been able to transfer some info, but addresses are cut short of what they are in the Outlook contact. I have also tried mapping the tasks, memos and calendar and those three I haven't been able to do anything.

Out of frustration I downloaded version 4.7 of the BB desktop manager, but still have no way of transfering the info.

Are the address fields cut short like truncated.

For instance, if the address of one contact is 45 characters long, it is cut to 30 characters long?

Are ALL the addresses cut to the same character length?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Has anyone been successful at syncing outlook 2003 address book & calendar to their Blackberry curve?  I'm still trying to find a solution.  I've tried everything. 

Sgdry wrote:

Has anyone been successful at syncing outlook 2003 address book & calendar to their Blackberry curve?  I'm still trying to find a solution.  I've tried everything. 

I have been and know many who do.

Your issue is likely a seperate and different issue than the OP here.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I'm sorry , I'm not sure what you do mean it's something other than the OP (Operating Program) ?  I spent 2 hours with Tech support and  they couldn't solve it.   The desktop manager 4.7 doesn't give an option to sync outlook calender and address book.  It has express, yahoo and ascii.   Any advice or help you can give me I sure would appreciate it.