Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: O2

Sync says not connected to Internet so won't work

I hope somebody can help!

Just upgraded to Desktop Manager 5 from version 4. All went well - in fact a painless update of all my software, too, which was WONDERFUL.

However, I cannot sync my current data (it restored the previous sync when updating software) as whenever I start the Sync process I get a message saying, "Your computer must be connected to the Internet to perform the operation. Please ensure you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."  No matter how often I push the Retry button, all I get is the same message and the Sync won't run.

The problem here is that I AM connected to the Internet (in fact, the device software check works fine) and all other programs that use the Internet (including Outlook) are running perfectly. How can I get the software to recognise that I'm connected? I really need to sync my contacts, etc., etc. from Outlook...

Many thanks

Guy

Highlighted
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Re: Sync says not connected to Internet so won't work

Hi and welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

A couple of places for you to visit: Blackberry 101    Tips & Tricks

See if this kb article doesn't help:   Internet connection required

Let us know how it goes.

Great to have you here! Smiley Very Happy

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
New Contributor

Thanks for coming back to me Irwin!

I'd already tried disabling my Windows Firewall and also put my Kaspersky AV system on "Pause Protection" but was still getting the same message. Downgraded to 4.7 with no success. Eventually went back to the original v4.2 2.14 that came in the box with the Blackberry and that's working fine: just don't have access to the more advanced features I guess, but at least I'm synchronising!

If you have any other ideas about how to get around this (I'm doing it from my home network, over an ADSL line), I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks

Guy

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: ATT

I am having the same problem, I even unlaoded the firewall to my PC, unloaded Symantec Antivirus, but still have the problem, any Ideas. I have a BB 9700, so cannot downgrade my desktop.

My Device: Not Specified

I am also having a problem trying to sinc with my blackberry 9000. It keeps reading device not found when my computer shows my blackberry is connected. Do I need to update my software if my blackberry was updated?  Can anyone help here?

Forums Veteran III

[ Edited ]

Hi and thanks for posting.   See this kb article:   Device not detected

We have several users here in the same thread so it can become confusing replying to multiple people. If the above link did not resolve your issue, then let 's get some information first.

Post back with:

Device OS and model #

DM version

Outlook version

PC OS

Also include what you have done as well as any error messages you have received and where in the process you received them.  Also, please refrain from trying something to see if it works as this adds additonal variables that can confound our attempts to arrive at a successful resolutions of your issues.

Let us know the details.  Smiley Happy

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
New Contributor

Many thanks, Irwin. Sorry about the delay in responding: I've been away on holiday for a couple of weeks without Internet access.

The link didn't apply to my problem - see my original post and the one following. The issue is not a question of device detection, but rather that the new BB Desktop S/W wouldn't let me do anything as it kept saying I wasn't connected to the Intermet, even though I was (using XP SP3).

I downgraded to the original version for my Curve 9310 (v 4.2.2.14) which works, but I have a policy of keeping all my software fully updated on my PCs so would rather be able to use the current version.

Many thanks
Guy

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there!

Here is a KB that discusses that error:

• KB16471 BlackBerry Desktop Manager prompts that an Internet connection is required when attempting to set up a synchronization

Hopefully it contains something useful!

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Many thanks for this.

The problem for me is that this runs on my home network which is a very simple one - so no corporate firewalls, etc., to worry about. I disabled my (Kaspersky) AV stuff and the Windows firewall as well in order to try to get this running, but still couldn't do so. The Internet connection was definitely running (I'd just downloaded the software from it), so am at a loss as to what to do now as I can't think of anything else (I checked my router, too - a DLink DIR-655 - but couldn't see anywhere that this might be blocking the access).

regards
Guy

Forums Veteran III

Hi again Guy! Smiley Mad

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.  I am wondering if when you updated DM you lost the internet connection through the ports listed in the troubleshooting steps in the "internet connection required" kb which sdgardne and I posted for you.  Perhaps look at those again to make sure you can access www.blackberry.com on port 443

KB article states, in part:

"If the computer is on an organization's network, contact the organization's administrator to confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager has access to www.blackberry.com on ports 80 and 443." 

Also....

"Resolution

If the computer is on an organization's network, add www.blackberry.com on port 443 to the allowed list in the organization's firewall and proxy server."

Since you are the "administrator" this will be easy.:smileyvery-happy:

In my experience, this has always solved this issue for OP's I have worked with before.  Check your firewall settings to confirm you have access through those ports.  Post back and let us know.

IrwinII