Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: T-Mo 8120 Pearl

Sync up BB to two computers

I know I can sync up my 8120 with the contacts and calendar on two different computers running Outlook, I do it all the time.  I have it set up so that the BB "wins" in the event of a discrepancy, so you would think the contacts and calendar would be identical on both computers.  They aren't.  And I have duplicates cropping up.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong ?

George from Bedford, TX
8120 on T-Mobile with BB Unlimited Email+Internet but
without the BlackBerry Enterprise service
Solutions: 6,420
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Sync up BB to two computers

You might try clearing the calendar database on BOTH of the BBs, and syncing from Outlook fresh to both.

Make CERTAIN that Outlook is complete and up to date.

If you are having errors in your Calendar or Address Book on your BlackBerry, and you wish to delete the entire Calendar (or Address Book) database on your BlackBerry, follow the directions below. Make certain you have a good copy of your Calendar or Contacts elsewhere, as this procedure will complete delete ALL Calendar entries and/or Address Book entries on your BlackBerry.

1. Open Desktop Manager on your PC.

2. Open up Backup/Restore > Advanced.

3. From Advanced you'll see a split pane screen. The left pain is what is going to be backed up from your device and the right is a list of the currently existing databases.

3. Highlight on the right side your Address Book database (or your Calendar database) and click the arrow in the middle pointing to the left. This will copy the information over and prepare it for back-up.

4. Once the back-up has completed, hit the Clear button at the bottom to erase and clean out the entire address book database (or Calendar database).

5. After it's finished, it will ask you if you want to save the back-up you've created, say yes and check the device to make sure the address book (or calendar) has been properly cleared out. Now, resync the necessary contact information and you should be set to go.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: T-Mo 8120 Pearl

JSanders wrote:

You might try clearing the calendar database on BOTH of the BBs, and syncing from Outlook fresh to both.

Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough: I have one BB and two computers, not the other way around.

George from Bedford, TX
8120 on T-Mobile with BB Unlimited Email+Internet but
without the BlackBerry Enterprise service
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

JSANDERS had the right idea, just the wrong two.

We think your calendar/addressbook database in the BB is corrupt.

If you have one Outlook calendar that is correct/or the best copy:

1) Follow Jsanders procedure to clear the calendar /addressbook on the BB.

2) Sync one way from the correct Outlook to the device.

3) The device has the correct calendar/addressbook.

4) Sync one way from BB to the second copy of Outlook.

5) All calendars/addressbooks are in sync.

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks   

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-30-2008 11:25 PM
Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-30-2008 11:26 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

My Device: 9000

I have been wrestling with syncing various models blackberries to two computers (one at home and one at work) for the past 3 years and have to disagree with the posted solutions. George's BB database may or may not be corrupt, and its corruption is not the issue. The database can be erased and replaced on the BB and deleted from one or both computers but the problem will come back after some time.

I have come to the conclusion that the sync architecture is not really capable of properly syncing routinely with two computers. Problems crop up when a record is modified in both computers. When the blackberry is synced to the first computer it takes that record and updates its internal database and somehow flags that record as not having been changed on the BB. Now when the BB is synced with the second computer this record may not make it the second computer. Based on the sequence and timing of the record changes and the two syncs, one may end up with two records or with only one of the two changed ones. I have found that sometimes you can end up with a record on the two computers that is different and refuses to sync. The only cure is to then erase and fully replace one of the databases.

I have found that the only sure way to sync properly without duplicate or un-synced records is to make one of the computers as a sort of a slave and setup its sync options to have its outlook databases always overwritten by the BB on syncing, and yes this means that one has to not update records in outlook on one of the computers.

-Sarmad
My Device: Not Specified

What if I have a BES Express server in place and I am syncing my device wirelessly. Why is it that when I accept meeting requests on my bb, it only updates my calendar in outlook on one of my workstations and not the other? Shouldn't this been identical since the syncronization is done directly through the BES server and the Exchange server? I'm not manually syncing my bb and the two serperate workstations are both set up on the same exchange mailbox/proflie.