Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Sync w/ Desktop Manager deleted all events in iCal

all is not lost yet since you still have the data on your crackberry, but it does suck that they did this to us and no one fm RIM has come on this forum or responded on how to properly deal w/this.  i called into their support line and even there got no where.  they connected me to at&t where the support person there also had no idea what to do, but was at least smart enough to do a google search which got me to this forum thread.

rim doesn't realize how close to the edge their market share is tetering and that this is not the time to bungle mission critical updates for their users.  after this debacle, i'm having to think seriously about moving to android or iPhone alternatives.

My Device: 8630
My Carrier: Sprint

I tried your 'solution' - it repopulated my iCal, and DUPLICATED calendar events on BB.  this is very frustrating.

New Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

strange.  since ical didn't have any data, in selecting "merge" during the sync process, there's only one set of data to sync (what's on the BB).  not sure what went wrong for you, but suffice it to say, yes, this has all been very very frustrating Smiley Wink

My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Sprint

I just joined the forum - same problem on my Curve 8330 - it deleted my ICal events. Only one of many "issues" - the synch was working fine and synching in both directions until about a month ago.  Now it either does not synch at all (I get an error message in the Desktop Manager window during the synch), or it synchs in one direction only (the ICal events do not populate in the bby calendar), and then the last time it wiped out iCal.

I have updated with the latest BBY desktop manager software - to no avail.

Has anyone solved this yet?  

My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Indosat

BB Desktop Manager 1.0.3 had successfully wipe all my iCal data. Have already do the suggestion to re-Merge the calendar. It worked. However I just realize that I only got this April onward calendar events data both on Mac and BB, I've lost all my calendar events from March backward both on Mac and BB. Fortunately I have Mac's Time Machine back up. However it is 2 months old back up (d*mn). Is there is any possible way to Time Machine only my calendar data from my old back up and merge it with my new calendar? Thank you. Setiawan ps. have enough trouble with BB. Deeply considering to move to iPhone.
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Could you explain to me what you mean by "Merge"?  I can't seem to find a button that says "Merge".

Thank you!

My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: At &T

Where would I find the OPTION 1 you refer to?

New Contributor
My Carrier: O2

First of all, thank you bflashnick.  Your answer works!  I am just making it clearer:

I noticed that my Blackberry erases anything in my calendar that is older than 60 days.  
IT SOMETIMES TRIES TO DO THIS EVEN WHEN I HAVE ALREADY TOLD THE BLACKBERRY TO KEEP APPOINTMENTS FOREVER.
IF WHEN TRYING TO SYNC YOU GET: "Sync Alert: Syncing with BlackBerry desktop Manager will change more than 25% of your calendars, events, or to dos on this computer and then it shows you that it is about to delete a large amount of calendar events.  STOP.  Click on Sync Later.
There are two ways to resolve this issue.  
One is to set advanced settings for Calendar in BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Sync Only Future Events.  This will allow you to sync everthing in the future and leave the past untouched but any revisions you made to dates in the past since your last sync will not be Synced.
For a total solution you must do two things:
1) Make sure the BlackBerry is set to keep appointments forever
Go to the Calendar in your blackberry and opening it and then hitting the blackberry option key and scrolling down to Options and selecting Options
then select General Options
Then scroll down under Actions and find Keep Appointments and set this to Forever
Then hit the back key (the curved arrow to the right of the track ball) and select save
2) On your Mac:
Quit BlackBerry Desktop Manager and
  1. Navigate to <User>/Library/Application Support/
  2. Delete the BlackBerryDesktop folder.
  3. Empty the Trash Bin.
  4. Restart BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
In BlackBerry Desktop Manager change all your syncing settings for Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Tasks including advanced settings and Sync.  It will alert you that this is your first Sync ever.  Choose Merge data for each choice when it asks.
NOTE TO BLACKBERRY:  The necessity to occasionally throw out the BlackBerryDesktop folder and resync everything to resolve this problem is clearly a bug in BlackBerry Desktop manager that should be fixed.
My Device: Curve 8530

Thanks to JamisonF! This solution works.  Older posts did not help, so I appreciate this up-to-date solution.

My Device: curve 315BCE81
My Carrier: Telus

Ditto thanks to JamisonF.  I had given up on Sync--- locked in a loop of inability to get changed settings to activate.  Do we expect the bug to be addressed by RIM?

Regards