Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Probably BOLD 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone Germany

Sync with company Microsoft Exchange server without Blackberry Server

Hi all,

I am considering buying a Blackberry Bold 9900 for my company account. I hate my HTC :-) and want to switch to a real business phone. I am really new to the BB world so I have a lot of quesions.

Before I purchase I need to know if it is compatible with my company exchange account.

My company uses a Microsoft Exchange account. They don't have any additional software from BB so I have to relay on the existing infrastructure.

On my computer I use Outlook 2010.

With my HTC (and my iPhone) I can get the following data:

- emails (are pushed on my private iPhone)

- calender (somehow automatically synced)

- contacts (also synced)

Can these data also be synced with a BB Bold 9900?

I have no idea what type of exchange server my company uses. But feel free to ask if you need any additonal information.

BR,

Christopher

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Sync with company Microsoft Exchange server without Blackberry Server

Check with your IT department.  Ask if you can use your blackberry to get corporate email.  Please keep in mind that you may have to get a BES data plan from your carrier depending on how your company is setup.  Check with your IT department first before you purchase the phone.

Thanks for your fast reply. I am quite sure that we do not have any services from BB in the company. I think I will be one of the rare people using the BB. But given the fact that they do not have any BB software or services, what chances do I  have to conect to our exchange server? At least for pushed emails.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Christopher

Forums Veteran III

I am not sure because I don't know how your company is setup.  It sounds like they use activesync for push email

I am guessing but they would need a BES server configured

http://us.blackberry.com/business/software/besx.html

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express is free.  Maybe let them know this?

If they don't have a BES server I'm not sure how they can accomadate this request.  Can you check with them and see what options are available?

Hi,

Thanks again. I will check with them about the options and configuration.

Just to make it clear for me:
Blackberry is not really able to set up a MS exchange account on the phone as iPhone and Android are able to?
I mean I just want to have the same features as I have now.

Thanks,
Christopher
Forums Veteran III

I will ask some friends to read this thread, but from my understanding

blackberry uses BES or BIS for push email.

The other platforms support activesync or third party app (touchdown for android which i think uses the activesync protocol)

My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Do you use OWA? Then you can config a BIS conduit. Blackberry does not have a native mail client. It uses a special system with RIM servers.

You won't be able to sync mire than email. BB10 is coming and will be able to natively.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I guess OWA is the online web access to Outlook. Yes, I have access to this but it requires a VPN to get access to it (if I am not mixing things up).

Thanks for the explanation about the servers. What implications does that have regardng my mail accounts? I have also a German email account at WEB.DE. Is the BB able to read IMAP and POP accounts?

Forums Veteran III

With your mail accounts, you should be fine.  You have to have a blackberry data blan in order to setup personal email.

If you were to get BES service for corporate email, then this service is already included.  Just to be sure, check with web.de first concerning blackberry email.

My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

currently, BlackBerry provide the widest range of conduits to receive emails on your smartphone. More conduits than Android and than iPhone, and than Windows Phone.

So, for your Exchange emails, to connect those to a BlackBerry, you have several ways.

solution 1. Your IT admins buy a BES license, and configure it. It is the best, so many advantages. But very expensive for 1 user.

Solution 2. Your IT admins install a BES express license (the licence is free, but needs someone who knows how to install it and manage it). It is nearly the best, so many advantages.

Solution 3. You have access to OWA, without requiring a VPN (no SecurID for instance. If so, you can configure the OWA on your device, through BIS.

Solution 4. You have access to Outlook Mobile Web Access. You can find information here:

http://help.outlook.com/en-US/140/ms.exch.ecp.ConfigureMobilePhone.aspx

very comprehensive and exhaustive explanations, including a video that helps you find the server info.

Solution 5. Your IT admins have enabled the POP3 feature on your Exchange. Simply connect the POP3 through BIS to your device.

Solution 6. Your IT admins have enables the IMAP4 feature on your Exchange. Simply connect the POP3 through bIS to your device (better than POP3)

Solution 7. Your IT admins have enabled the ActiveSync feature on your Exchange, and it is accessible without a VPN. Same, use BIS.

Solution 8. I am giving it for future reference, but it is not really applicable. On the previous versions of the Desktop Software (at the time it was called Desktop Manager 5.0.1), there was a server your could install on your own corporate PC (the one with the Outlook that can access the Exchange emails), that would send emails from and to your BlackBerry. That tool was named "Desktop Redirector".

Unfortunately, the Desktop Manager 5.0.1 cannot be downloaded on any official source from RIM. Here is some information about the Desktop Redirector:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/12617/Desktop_Redirector_BES_660182_11.j...

KB15039 How to install BlackBerry Desktop Redirector

Solution 9

on your Exchange account, redirect all incoming emails to an external email address that provides IMAP or POP3, then use one of the solutions above.

Solution 10

use your BlackBerry browser and go to your OWA.

Hope this helps, somehow.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: