Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Synching Contacts and Calendar - Issues with Outlook Connector (and stuff).

Hi Everyone,

I've just got my first ever BlackBerry (the Storm) and this is my first post on the forums.  I've read around a lot and found bits and pieces to this problem but no definative answer (that I could understand).  So, I know that this is a tricky subject but really hope someone can help.

For info, I am using Windows Vista and Outlook 2003 with Outlook connector synching my mail, contacts and calendar to my Windows Live Hotmail account.

I have installed V.4.7 of the Desktop Manager software and gone through Configure>Synchronization and selected Outlook for Contacts.  The wizard all seems to work OK but then when I press 'Finish' I get the error message 'Folder is no longer part of the system data source or the folder couldnot be found'. 

I partially understand the concept that my Contacts aren't actually within Outlook, they are in my hotmail/live account.  My question is how do I get around this and import my contacts to the BlackBerry?  Will it accept an exported .pst file or can it link directly to hotmail?

I found (from advice on the forum) that if you go into Outlook and adjust your E-mail account settings to deliver incoming emails to 'Personal Folder' instead of '***@hotmail.co.uk' then it gets past the error message, however, I found there is no calendar or contact data in my outlook personal folders for the BlackBerry to sync with once I've done this.

I'll try to make some enquiries on a Microsoft forum about the functionality between Outlook and Hotmail to see if there is an easy way to get my data across into the personal folders so that the BlackBerry can sync it from there.  I'm concerned about losing emails or functionalitly from Outlook Connector on my PC as a result of changing the default mail folder.

Sorry for the length of the email but figured the more detail the better - thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Al.

New Contributor

Re: Synching Contacts and Calendar - Issues with Outlook Connector (and stuff).

Just to add on - if you go to DM>Configure>Synchronization>Advanced and check the file path for Contacts it says it's looking at Personal Folders.  I've copied my contacts within Outlook from my 'hotmail contacts' folder into the 'Personal Folders' contacts and then done a sync but they still aren't picking up.

Al.

Contributor

I use Outlook and sync with BB Storm. On the desk top mgr go to advanced sync and be sure that you have selected the right contacts folder under the Personal Folder.  Mine syncs fine, I use filters for the contacts I want on BB.
New Contributor

Cheers Sb - I tried the each of the different folders under the advanced options but still no joy.  I believe it's because I am using Outlook connector that is causing the issue.  Outlook Connector is an add on to view hotmail in real time through Outlook. 

I'm wondering if, as a workaround I could copy my hotmail contacts into Yahoo or Gmail etc and then sync them with the BB - anything to avoid typing them all in one by one.

I've also found that I can't Bluetooth Contacts from my old Samsung mobile.  I can't insert the old SIM card either as it's a different network so I'll have to take it back to the store I bought it from and see if they have some sort of transfer device.

Sb - Are you using Outlook Connector?
New Contributor

Just in case anyone else has this issue, I have figured out a workaround (not a solution exactly but it works).  In Outlook, go to Contacts - Export to File and select Comma Seperated Values (Windows) .CSV file - save this to your PC. 

Then open up a Yahoo mail account (if you don't have one already) go to Classic View, Contacts and at the right of the screen there is an option for Import/Export.  Select the location of the CSV file you've saved to your PC and upload it to Yahoo.

You can now go through the DM wizard and select it sync with Yahoo.  This is ideal for adding the contacts to the phone for the first time.  Just remember to ensure everything is up-to-date and complete in the Outlook Contacts before you export to the CSV file.

If you want to add contacts in the future, the best way is to add them to Outlook first and then go through the process of exporting the CSV file again - this will ensure that all records are the same.  Although, if you wanted too, you could also export from the BB into Yahoo and then into Outlook as Yahoo also exports the contacts into a CSV file.

Hope that helps someone....

Al.

New Contributor

My "Advanced ..."  Button is grayed out in DM.

I am trying to get Outlook 2000 Contact list on to the Storm by synching it...Outlook is not one of the choices for synching!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500

I have exactly the same problem - my Desk Manager will not recognise Outlook - it only gives me the choice of Outlook Express, which I no longer use. Is this a problem with Outlook 2000 as opposed to later versions of Microsoft Office?

If anyone knows can they let us know please.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

if you want Outlook 2000, you can use a Desktop Manager up to version 4.2 SP2 included.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Hi i just bought a new CrapBerry, i cannot sync with my Outlook too, even after spending a precious time reading this forum.

I always get the same message : Folder is no longer part of the system data source or the folder could not be found

I was able to sync in seconds with my Sony Ericsson W, my Palm, my Pocket PC... everything Sync exept this crap phone.

So you should bought a real Smartphone instead of this.

Regards, sorry for my poor English.

JB

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500

I experienced exactly the same problem and the only way I found to resolve it was to completely uninstall the Desktop Manager supplied with the phone (probably version 4.7) and get an older version 4.2.2.14 from the Blackberry website.  It is no where near as pretty as the latest version and has less functionality as regards music sync, but syncing Phone numbers and the Callendar with Microsoft Outlook 2000 does work on my system.  Can't guarantee this will work if you have a later version of Microsoft Office. If you have trouble locating the right DM version file, let me have your email adress and I will send it to you.

DVW