Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Syncing on home computer and wirelessly for work

I recently received a BB for a work phone.  We have a Black Berry server that pushes our e-mail contacts, notes and tasks from outlook to the phone.  I would also like to sync up my contacts and calendar with some application on my home computer.  I have Office/Outlook 2000 on this computer and can use that.  I installed the BB desktop manager V4.3 on my home computer but could not get it to sync with Outlook and when I tried to sync it at home, the BB quit syncing with our server at work.  I got that restarted by running though the Enterprise Activation sequence on the BB.  But now I am afraid to try it at home again. Is there a simple way to talk to both work servers and my home computer.

Dave 

Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Syncing on home computer and wirelessly for work

You can do that but it can be tricky.  First, the Desktop Manager needs to not be connected to your email account when you open it.  In Desktop Manager change the email profile settings to "Prompt" you for the email profile to be used.  Then when you open DM it will ask you for the email profile.  When it does, hit "Cancel."  That will disassociate the device from any email account and should prevent the problem you encountered with no more sync with the BES/email. 

Then, in order to sync via the cable, you'll need to turn off wireless sync on the device for whatever you're going to sync.  If you want to sync Contacts, you'll need to go into the Address Book Options and turn off wireless sync.  Then plug into DM and setup sync.  Pay attention to the advanced settings so you get the type of sync you want.  When you're done with the sync, turn on the wireless sync again.  Be carefull with the sync settings, though as it's easy to mess everything up.  I recommend making a backup of the device before doing a sync, just in case anything goes wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!