Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: orange

TRIED DOING AN UPDATE - FROZE AT 8% AND NOW WONT TURN ON

Had a desperate call from my daughter this morning.  She has been trying to do an update on her 9790 since last night.  It gets to 8% then freezes.  Now her phone wont turn on or anything.

Can anyone suggest what to try or is it a visit to Phones4U

Cheers

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: TRIED DOING AN UPDATE - FROZE AT 8% AND NOW WONT TURN ON

Hi eggchaser

Sorry to hear that you are having issue while update ,There are two methods of recovery for you to try:

(Credit JSanders)

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: orange

Many thanks for the reply.  Gave it a try but didnt quite get there BUT whilst attempting this we somehow managed to get the data backing up to desktop which then gave us a prompt to save the update for later.  Phone has come back to life although we have lost contacts but hopefully have these backed up.  Dont know what we did but at least try9ng to follow your advice got us up an running again.

Now we have a potential problem on 7th March (date we have delayed update to).  what should we do next time we are given the prompt to update.  Is it possible to just cancel the update for good (there doesnt appear to be this option on the screen).

Cheers

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hi eggchaser

Its nice to know that your device back on track Smiley Happy If you somehow followed the instructions then it might be possible that your device is already update but if you postponed or delayed the update , then on that particular date or thereafter you might get a notification regarding update when you connect your device and run Desktop Software, which you can cancel no problem in that, So first check your current OS version , Options > Device > About device version ,first set of numbers on the third line  .

Right now I suggest you to do a Complete Backup of your device if you don't have that , you can follow this Article regarding Backup : How To Backup Your BlackBerry   .

The most easiest way to update your device software is by downloading the exact OS pack from your Carrier , Install that OS file by double clicking the same file on your PC . Once it is installed  your desktop Software will prompt for that update or simply Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\ AppLoader. (For 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, the path  will be C: > Program Files x86 > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader) double click Loader.exe. and follow the onscreen direction , it will Update your device OS .

You can search your Carrier here Software Download Site   and download the most recent OS available for your device model.

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.