Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Has anyone tried to activate the Telus GPS app, then cancel it before the 30 days is up? One post said it (telus app) works on all Curves (??)

scott 

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

From my experience, when you run that app is it lets other applications think they have GPS just during the time that Navigator is running.  As soon as you exit Navigator, all your other apps immediately stop working.  It looks like this is tricking some people into thinking their GPS is working when it is not.

If you cancel the trial you're back to no-GPS.

Telus continues to advertise this phone as having GPS, knowing full well that it does not - at least not for a large number of customers.  Frustrating.

RIM, WHY can we not have an official answer?  As far as I'm concerned, you have scammed me.  I am trying so hard to be a happy BlackBerry user, but instead I feel like a victim of fraud.

Why can't you make this right?  Why can't you answer me? You're creating a big mess here.

Contributor

RIM.

To the best of my knowledge you have shipped a huge batch of broken BlackBerry Curve 8330s to TELUS.  This could be thousands of units for all I know.  I have seen 4 personally.  You are refusing to answer these messages or update us on the status of this issue.  As far as I'm concerned I've been scammed.

What is the proper way to get your attention?  Through the media?  The BBB?  Advertising Standards Canada?  The "blogosphere" and the "twittersphere"?  All of the above?  I have free time.

I expect to be contacted by RIM by the end of the day today.  If you work for RIM and see this, please forward it to the right person.  I'm tired of waiting for an answer.  I'm basically begging you to make me into a BlackBerry lover instead of a BlackBerry hater, and you don't appear to care.

Contributor

Hey Everyone!

Great news!! Test your GPS - Mine has been working just fine for the past week or so(works best when not in a building I noticed).  If everyone could please test it and leave a comment if yours is working!!! I also found a cool piece of software you all might be interested in: GPSed - tracks and maps your movements via GPS. I tried it out while biking in the river valley here in Edmonton and works great.

Just a note, you have to have your BlackBerry Maps(with GPS active), running in the background for it to work.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

-- Lonnie (aka javatyger)
Contributor

As per my previous post, GPSed kick-started my gps as well.

Question for you... are you on a Curve 8330 by chance?  While GPSed got my BB Maps to work, I cannot start a track with the GPSed app itself.  I get an error message saying that my firewall and IT policy do not allow the connection.  I have set my firewall to allow all connections for this app, but still the same problem.

Any suggestions? 

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

We have a slogan in our office:   Telus another story!

I have an 8830, gps has been working from day one, but I have noticed a lag acquiring the satelites at times, I will try the clear cache option and see if it makes a difference.

I have compared the BB maps vs GoogleMaps apps and we have standarized on the BBMaps for a couple of reasons:

• BBMaps appears to be more accurate for finding locations, GoogleMaps put our office about 2-3 blocks away from where it actually was, BBMaps had it dead on.
  • Data charges.  With GoogleMaps, there is too great a temptation for employees to play with the satellite photo mode.  If you don't have a flat data plan, or if you are roaming, this can add up on your data charges.
  • BBMaps is code signed by RIM.  If you have "Disallow 3rd Party Applications" enabled on your BES policies, BBMaps is unaffected, GoogleMaps is.

edited for typo

Message Edited by DigitalFrog on 06-02-2008 01:36 PM
posted by DigitalFrog

Hi Digital Frog,

We have 8330s not 8830s.  I know what you mean Telus another story.  It seems like every time I have to interact with Telus I end up leaving extremely disappointed.  It's just so stressful because I feel like they promise me one thing, I sign up & pay them, and then they just sort of laugh in my face because they know they don't actually have to deliver.

That's how it feels anyway.  I paid money for a bloody BlackBerry with built-in GPS, and I'm really angry that they haven't given me what I paid for.  

Either RIM or TELUS needs to take responsibility and apoligize publicly to all of us who have been ripped off.   This is just so unfair.

There seems to be so many of these broken devices out there.  RIM WHY WILL YOU NOT ANSWER US?  WHERE IS MY WORKING BLACKBERRY CURVE 8330 WITH GPS?  WHEN are you going to do a RECALL?  Or provide a software update?  I WANT AN ANSWER.

Contributor

s BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Well, i tried w BB maps in the back. Nothing.. I live in Ontario. Glad it works for a few.

BTW, please toober,chill. Have a glass of wine. Things tend to work out if you are patient!!

Keep the faith.

scott 

Contributor

Re: s BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Fair enough Smiley Happy

But I'd still like an official answer...... is that too much to ask? Smiley Happy 

Contributor

Re: s BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Absolutely not! It should work. I just tried,again, the app suggested and I can't get it to work. Not with the BB or downloading to my laptop. Weird. (what was the German stuff that came up on my BB??)

Toober, just sounds like you are really angry, which is ok, but honey vs. vinegar etc etc!!Smiley Wink

scott