Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

How did you install it?
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Here's my ignorant question, sorry guys, my BB is only 2 days old so I am a supernewbie, and so far no luck with GPS yet. Question: do i need a data plan to be able to use the GPS and to dl this GPsed do I actually need a data plan as well? Thanks for reading. I sure hope this Curve GPS issue with TELUS is fixed soon.

Highlighted
Contributor

You can download GPSed to your desktop and then install it to your BB through the Device Manager, and I don't believe you need a data plan to use it either.  GPSed is designed to work in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage, as long as you have the settings to save your track on your memory as opposed to updating it wirelessly every 5 or so minutes.
Contributor

dbellirv wrote:
You can download GPSed to your desktop and then install it to your BB through the Device Manager, and I don't believe you need a data plan to use it either.  GPSed is designed to work in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage, as long as you have the settings to save your track on your memory as opposed to updating it wirelessly every 5 or so minutes.

Back to my original question.. How do you install it and what was with the strange German(I think) message I got when I installed it direct on my BB?? Is this app for real? I tried installing it both ways but no luck....

Help!

scott 

Contributor

Hi there,

Just to let know that on my side also( 8330) maps gps isn't working. I'm in montreal and I did call Telus to open a ticket... Like I've been reading, They are aware of the problem and the guy told me that it should work... of course without any answer on time...  He did suggested to install the telus navigator, I just hope they are just not enabling the fonction so we can pay an xtra 10$ for the feature...

I have the same problem with my Telus blackberry Curve 8330. Cannot use the maps feature. I've exchanged the phone once, and spent much time on the phone with tech support - still doesn't work. The most frustrating thing is that I get a different explanation from everyone I talk to at Telus. I'm thinking I'll return the phone for good.
Contributor

Still hoping someone will help me install GPSed. Is it for real?

scott 

Contributor

Well, I've been looking around... This one here works and it's free... It's also making the BB maps getting a hold of the gps... so here is the link http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/index.php

Contributor

Or directly from your bb http:\\www.nav4all.com\install 
New Contributor

narnian wrote:

I have been using my BB8830 and GPS functionality since last November but it was not until recently (I installed Garmin Navigator) that I started to have problems with the GPS. I did a search in google and one way to solve the issue is to open the BB map application. Go to Options and then press the menu key and select Clear Cache. Still in the BB map application start the GPS navigation. You should be able to get access to the GPS. I have tried this and most of the time it has worked. On some occasions I had to restart the map application but after that it worked fine. Now I can use Garmin navigator with no problem.

Narnian's cache clearing suggestion worked great for me.  And I have tried pretty much EVERYTHING!  Hope it works for others. 

THANKS!!!