Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Update:

Telus Technical Support just called me.  After about 20 minutes of trying to explain to the guy exactly what the problem is he tells me this.

1) My phone doesnt have a GPS antenna

2) That he thinks my device is defective

3) To try downloading Telus Navigator to see if that works.

So, I shake my head and do as I am told.

Guess what!

Telus Navigator works perfectly!  Surprise surprise.  And now BB Maps works perfectly too!  Another surprise.

He is phoning me back to see what happened!

I will keep you all posted!

By the way, if my phone didnt have at least a 2 in 1 microwave antenna, GPS wouldn't work at all.  But then again, what do I know?

WTF

New Contributor

Hey there Al,

I wonder if they'll cha rge you for it?  I know you can have 30 days for free but I wouldn't trust them with that either so I stick with the google program that works for me and it's tracking just like a regular GPS unit.

Ter

and, I know, WTF 

Highlighted
Contributor

I have spent many hours on the phone with Telus and in my local reseller's store where I purchased my 8330 to try and resolve this issue.  I have had my device replaced and still no luck with GPS.

Here's what I have learned:

1) Several people at Telus have assured me that this is definitely not an intentional disabling of the device's GPS feature on their part, and they are all baffled by what is going on.  Some devices (apparently) get a GPS lock immediately, and others just do not.  The manager of the store I bought my device from was on the phone with Telus and the Telus employee had the exact same model in his hand and could get a GPS lock immediately, whereas the one in the store (mine) could not.  I have tried under many conditions where there should be no trouble obtaining the GPS signal. There seems to be a large batch of faulty hardware out there that needs to be replaced or fixed through software.

2) Installing Navigator doesn't necessarily fix the device, it may just let other applications determine your "last" location.  Those applications may not be able to determine your new location if you move.  Make sure that other applications can find your position without Navigator running, or else do not consider your device to be fixed and do not consider the issue resolved with Telus. 

3) Somebody owes us a very good explanation and a commitment that we will get the features as advertised.  I for one would never had bought this device had I known it did not have the GPS features advertised. Everyone with a faulty unit deserves a full replacement with a new, non-refurb working unit or (hopefully) just a software upgrade that fixes the issue.  There is no reason we as customers should be penalized for trusting the advertisements.

ANY word from RIM would be SO very much appreciated.  I would be satisfied with just a note that it's a known issue and a fix is in the works.  I don't care if it takes six months, I just want to put this endless back & forth with Telus to rest.  I want my BlackBerry to work.

Contributor

I couldn't agree more.  

I had yet ANOTHER call with Telus.  This is what they told me....

1)  They arent intentionally blocking the signal

2)  There must be a batch of defective devices

3)  That I should drive around and find a dealer that has a working one, and swap my phone AGAIN

4)  That if I did not want to do that, then the only other thing that I could do would be to take the matter up with RIM myself.  At a cost of $85 an hour by the way.  Their reasoning, is that the phone and web part is working properly and that is all they are responsible for.  BB Maps is not software they are prepared to support.

Thanks for the great support guys.

I would expect by now that someone at Telus or RIM for that matter would have read this thread.  I have been told numerous times by various "tekkies" at Telus that they use these forums daily.

So, I for one, would really appreciate some input on this matter.  At least in this forum, we could consider it official.

Once again...

WTF is going on Telus and RIM???  You are telling me that EVERY single device available to both these companies functions properly?  And that is why the problem cannot be nailed down?  Seriously now.

I was told that it was probably just the store that I got mine from that had a bad batch.  Ok I could understand that.  But I can gaurantee you that we all did not purchase our devices from the same location.  So, let's admit there's a problem.  Engineer a workaround and update or replace our phones.

I am in Calgary by the way.

Al 

Contributor

One more thing.  If anyone from Telus does read this...

For the last time, I am not going to erase my OS and reinstall it.

I am tired of telling TELUS that the OS for the 8330 hasnt been released yet by RIM.  I have had THREE tech support people try to walk me through reloading my OS in hopes of solving the problem. 

It is somewhat disturbing to me that the people we call to discuss technical problems arent even up to date on the software releases they are talking about. 

Contributor

I am in Vancouver.  Looks like there are plenty of bad batches out there.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I don't get an update soon I'm taking this to the media and BBB. Telus is refusing to honor their 30-day DOA policy after 30 days, even though I brought back the unit BEFORE the 30 days had expired. They tell me it's RIM's problem. RIM is silent. How is this fair on me?

Message Edited by toober on 05-08-2008 01:55 PM
Contributor

I have had the exact same issue.  Shortly after purchasing the 8330 I took it back to the dealer who swapped it for a new one... but of course the new one doesn't work either.

I have just sent an email to Telus to see how they can help, will keep you updated. 

Contributor

I am all for the media thing...

Funny how when Telus gets pushed into a corner they say its not their problem..

Does no one from Telus read these forums??

WTF 

Contributor

btw..

I am about a week late on my $400 a month bill..

havent heard a word yet from telus.  usually if i am 18 seconds late i have emails and phone calls..

ironics eh?

WTF