Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Grant Geddes here, from Calgary too. Just purchased the 8330 yesterday, same problem. Quoted "alrenners" post from May 5/08 - ticket number 4967991 and tech support pulled it up as a "still open" issue. Tech support has issued me a ticket number - 5003102, and tells me they are investigating. Apparently they are going to text, phone, or email me back when a solution is found. In the mean time I'm going back to the Telus store in Chinook Centre where I bought the phone yesterday to see if I can get a working model. Will keep you all posted.

GG

New Contributor

Hey there everyone,

It's the same old thing me thinks, I'll get back to you, the cheques in the mail, we're working on a fix.  It's false and misleading advertising plain and simple and, as our friend Al says, just keep complaining and squeaking and maybe someone  will get some oil and fix it.

Blessings,

Ter 

Highlighted

I have been using my BB8830 and GPS functionality since last November but it was not until recently (I installed Garmin Navigator) that I started to have problems with the GPS. I did a search in google and one way to solve the issue is to open the BB map application. Go to Options and then press the menu key and select Clear Cache. Still in the BB map application start the GPS navigation. You should be able to get access to the GPS. I have tried this and most of the time it has worked. On some occasions I had to restart the map application but after that it worked fine. Now I can use Garmin navigator with no problem.

New Contributor

Just got my 8330 a few days ago. The GPS was working fine at the beginning (was the first thing I tried on it) then it stopped working. Just read the previous post. Cleared the cache, then it acquired the position in a matter of seconds ! Thanks for the tip ! 
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to thank-you all for your posts. I'm glad that more and more people are posting to here, that way we can see how many people are having problems, and how wide spread this really is. For your info, in case you did not know, if you have been dealing with DNA and they have asked you to reload your OS, it is now available for download from this site: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp - Just go down near the bottom right and click on Telus Mobility, then choose the 8330 device software. However, it doesn't fix anything. :-(

I need to ask everyone for a favour - PLEASE GET A CASE # FROM DNA(Data Network Assistance) so that is logged. The more tickets that come up for the same issue, the more it will get noticed. If you could also post the case number in this thread as well, I would appreciate it. The Number for DNA BlackBerry assistance is:

1-866-771-7292 Option 5, Option 2 

Have a great weekend everyone.

P.S: that clearing the cache trick did nothing for me - still cannot aquire GPS lock. If you really need the GPS, a good program for everyone to download for now is Google Maps, which works off Cell-phone towers, a great program for those that don't have access to GPS. Also great for directions!

Message Edited by javatyger on 05-11-2008 04:40 PM
-- Lonnie (aka javatyger)
Contributor

ok..so everything still seems to work...sometimes it takes ages to actually get a gps lock, but it almost (80%) always does.

This may be a noob problem.  But how the hell do you actually get the thing to navigate??

I put in directions, but when I hit "start gps navigation", it just follows where i am going.  doesnt actually direct me.

What am i missing??

Also, another noob question.  On the box, it says that the phone has speakerphone capabilities.  I cannot find that anywhere!!

Thanks in advance 

Contributor

During a phone call, press the menu button -there should be an option that says something about activating speakerphone.  I'm sure I've used this before.

GPS navigation - BlackBerry maps doesn't actually have navigation features, as far as I know.  For navigation you probably will have to download Telus Navigator ($) or use Google Maps (free).

Congratulations on getting GPS signals to work on your BlackBerry Curve 8330.  I'm still stuck using one of the faulty devices that Telus has sold.

It's sad that they refuse to honour their warranty and don't care at all to help the customers who have bought faulty devices.  It makes RIM/BlackBerry look bad as well as themselves.

I'm getting angrier and angrier about this every day.  I just do not understand how it is ok to sell something to someone that is broken and then refuse to honour your own warranty!!!!!!  It's just stupid.  They're still selling them knowing that there are broken units on the shelves.....  I purchased this specifically for the darn GPS features and now I'm stuck with this junk that doesn't work.  Nobody seems to care to help at either company.   

Contributor

hmmm..yet another misleading advert...

correct me if i am wrong, but navigation means "navigation"?  does it not?? 

imagine if Garmin sold a piece that just followed u around....

Not a happy camper about that 

Contributor

Well, I finally got a somewhat useful update from Telus.

I called the number that was mentioned in a previous post and referenced my ticket #.  The person on the phone says that RIM is now aware of this issue and they are working on a fix - but there is no ETA for this fix.  He said there was a similar issue with the Pearl that eventually got resolved. (???)

Contributor

Well,... I could be wrong actually

Hit the menu button and then "Get Directions".  Try that.  It may be that you just need Telus Navigator to get the Garmin-like user interface etc.

But either way, if the GPS works, then at least you can use whatever software you want with it.  There could be some free navigation software out there even, who knows....... To me the most important part is just that GPS works.  Then I can use whatever software I want with it.