Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

thanks for the tip..not sure how i missed that speakerphone option...

here's the thing that I dont get witht the nav part...

During one of my phone calls with Telus, the tech person said that she didnt blame me for not wanting to use Telus Navigator.  she said that the BB Maps app was actually much better for nav than the Telus one.

WTF was she talking about then?

Point is, I could actually care less about nav.  I have three other devices that I use.  It's just that I have been in retail for so long, that it irritates the sh%t outta me when something doesnt work as advertised.  I know that my customers wouldnt stand for empty promises.  Why should we?

I actually only need the GPS part to check satellites.  I own a GPS based asset management company.  I could only imagine what my customers would say if I told them that my systems didnt do exactly what I said they would do.  Then blamed it on the manufacturer and said it wasnt my problem...

Contributor

I think you probably can do some sort of GPS based navigation with BBMaps then - I really just don't know much about it. I'd say the Telus tech probably knows a heck of a lot more than me about that

New Contributor

I guess I am one of the lucky one who has a working GPS... I took the habit to always empty the memory first (using the memory manager under Options, Security Options - which I have added as an icon on my main menu), then clean the cache in BB Maps and I get a signal in about 10-15 seconds. To get directions, I use the option in the menu and it gives a clear and concise list of all the directions, including symbols for turns, icons for highways, exits, etc...

I downloaded Google maps (to get the satellite pictures), but then the GPS didn't want to work anymore and I noticed that the maps were not more detailed, and it was awfully slow since it fetches every map via the internet ...

To answer a previous question about the speakerphone, I just use the speakerphone key above the $....quick and easy.

Good luck to the others...Telus/BB better come up with a fix quickly or some form of compensation. 

Highlighted

I also have opened a ticket with Telus.  But here is how I and some others got this to work. Download TelusNav, run it and your gps will start working.  I have also uninstalled the TelusNav, and than rebooted the BBCurve and went back to the BBmaps and it still works.
Contributor

IT WORKS!!!

I just downloaded GPSed (www.GPSed.com) because it looked like a cool app.  Thought I'd try activating the GPS for the heck of it, and lo and behold the freakin' thing acquired the satellites!  I went over to BB Maps and no problem there either, tracking and everything worked well.

I have had my GPS up and running for the last couple of days with no problems.  Sometimes it takes a few minutes to find the satellites, but I can live with that.  So, afterall, this whole thing appears to be the software and not the hardware. 

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

dbellirv wrote:

IT WORKS!!!

I just downloaded GPSed (www.GPSed.com) because it looked like a cool app.  Thought I'd try activating the GPS for the heck of it, and lo and behold the freakin' thing acquired the satellites!  I went over to BB Maps and no problem there either, tracking and everything worked well.

I have had my GPS up and running for the last couple of days with no problems.  Sometimes it takes a few minutes to find the satellites, but I can live with that.  So, afterall, this whole thing appears to be the software and not the hardware. 

Was there a cost for this app?

scott 

Contributor

All free.  I am having some problems with the functionality of the app itself (IT policy conflicts), but it got my GPS working and my BB Maps work without any problems as well.
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Thanks. I live in Ontario and will get back to you if it works here.

scott 

Contributor

Well, this is just stupid.

I'm sick and tired of being kicked around by companies who don't give a **bleep** about their customers.  If I pay hundreds of dollars for a BlackBerry that is advertised as having Blackberry Maps with GPS, then I expect to get a BlackBerry with BlackBerry Maps and GPS.

TELUS blames RIM, RIM is silent, nobody cares.  TELUS knows they don't have to care because I'm locked into one of their contracts.  If TELUS is correct and it is RIM's problem, then where on earth is the official announcement from RIM acknowledging that this is a problem they are working on and a timeline for the expected fix?  Why can't they just speak up and say "Hey ya, we made a little mistake in your version of the OS, we'll have an updated version for you in 6 weeks"?  Or "We don't know how long it will take to finish the updated version, but we'll give you a more accurate timeline by the end of the month"... COMMUNICATION is all I'm asking for.  The pain of trying to get this piece of junk working has been SO, SO, SO stressful.

TELUS even refused to give me a working new device if it is determined to be a hardware problem, because it's now out of their 30-day warranty period (which is of course b.s., because I brought it back within the 30 days - they just didn't have working units - so apparently that means *I* have to lose out... It's *MY* fault that they forgot to test their product before advertising its features.  It's *MY* fault they didn't have working units when I tried to return it within 30 days.).  How on earth is that fair?  They should be begging me to accept their apology for the inconvenience and throwing giant piles of service credit at me.  That's how you treat a customer that you KNOW you have done wrong.  You don't torture them like this.

I feel like such a stupid sucker for buying this thing.

Enjoy my money RIM & TELUS, I hope you're both happy.

Contributor

Come on RIM.

Do not let this go another day without a good, solid, respectful answer to the customers who have been wronged. 

Why does my BlackBerry Curve 8330 NOT have GPS as advertised?  TELUS says you're to blame.... where's my answer?