Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

I'd like to try!

Did you allow all of the settings, or Deny access to Internet Browser, Phone stuff?

scott 

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Scott99Lee wrote:

I'd like to try!

Did you allow all of the settings, or Deny access to Internet Browser, Phone stuff?

scott 

I did let the software access everything... No problems until now...

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

What did you mean "untill now"....
New Contributor
My Device: Telus Blackberry Storm 9530

So. For all of you who are having GPS issues with your Telus Blackberry Curve. Here's the deal, apparently.

I called DNA to just check up on the status of my repair ticket. As many of you who are probably reading this, you are probably having the same sort of "intermittent" problems with your GPS and your Curves.

These problems range from no locks, to some locks, to locks with Telus Navigator running in the background etc. etc.

I'm also pretty sure, that many of you have called Telus and opened repair tickets and have gotten the official: "It's now in RIM's hands and that we have a repair ticket with them and that there is also no resolution time"

Well. Here's the fun part. After my brief, and very frustrating, talk with DNA, the supposed repair ticket has officially been CLOSED with RIM, with no resolutions.

Seriously? Are you kidding me? What the hell is RIM doing?

So, it looks like I'm gonna be going on my 3rd Blackberry Curve, as I asked for a handset swap (Which was another mission on it's own, as the customer service reps at the store I went to, tried to convince me that I don't really need the GPS anyways and that by swapping, I may get a crappier phone) What the hell happened to all this excellent customer service? I mean the rep on the phone seemed just as confused as I was as the ticket was closed with no resolution or solution. But the reps at the store??? What the hell??

Anyhow, just wanted to let people know what the status of our "general repair ticket" with RIM was. And quite frankly, I can't wait till my contract is over so I can get my hands on a new IPHone... lol j/k
Contributor

Does anyone from BB actually read these forums?  If so, why is no one saying anything?  Complete joke, and with the iPhone announcement coming out today with the cheaper version (cheaper than BB even) this will not fare well with them.  One of the reasons BB has been so successful is through word of mouth (which will hurt them if this continues).
New Contributor

My F**** Awful experience with TELUS from HELLUS

So I am on phone number 3.  Got BB pearl on March 8, gps functionality worked great, no problems, until I went to states April 4 - 16, never worked in states, and occasionally worked after I got back....

WHat I found out in Florida was that VERIZION wireless BLOCKS GPS functionality for BB maps, however bb maps will function with address search etc.  from versiozion store in a mall the guy said they do this to sell their own knock off of a gps voice guided direction/mapping BS probably like telus navigator..  So I assumed as a roamer, my BB maps functionality was blocked too.

I did update BB maps from 2.0.24 ( which was what came on the pearl) to 2.0.26, seems as MAYBEY, again MAYBEY this is when the problems started, not sure.

My pearl had issues, but my brothers and his wifes had no upgrades done, and still work, bought at same store, within 1 week of each other ( Calgary futureshop)

I get an exchange for the pearl.  In the process I am offered a renewal on a 3 year to get the black one ( offer was given becuase it took 15 hours of my life to get to that point with tech support regarding this issue and that telus never said there was a black perl. But none the less they made me kinda happy and said i can renew after only 3 months into my original 3 year contract.  So I took them up on that.  quick version was that I called in asked for specs on curve, lady yelled at me, told me I was an **bleep**, and then said to look on the web page for the information.  I called back and litterally told them to f this and that and screamed and yelled, much to my suprise, the new rep never hung up on me.  she gave me $200.00 to pay for the curve.   So I went back to the dealer when the new replacement pearl was in, I got someone to log into the BES server, kill my handheld before I gave it to them ( Wonder if erase and disable handheld actually disables it? hmmm ) he switched esn's to the new pearl, yup, got rid of the one with the scuffed up screen, got a shiny new one, as it was activated for about 2 minutes, confirmed GPS lock/location worked with BB maps, checked version, was 2.0.24. Then I laughed and said, so you have a BB curve, He did, I got him to activate that one, kept the new shiny perl too. after all it was essentially free, minus the HOURS of BS with telus. Yup I got them.  Then I got the curve working, never did try the GPS when at dealer, but tried it out side, worked for a bit, then didn;t then did, now doesnt and hasnt for a while now. THIS IS EVEN WITH GOOGLE MAPS, Google get the triagulation only within 1700 meters.  Checked version on curve, 2.0.26 HMMMMM  wonder...

I would like to load 2.0.24 on the curve if any one has it, PLEASE HELP I beleive this update cuased this.  I asked telus if they had that version, nothing but run around answers.

The answer I FINNALY got today was from telus was that RIM is aware of the problem, and the problem is going to be fixed, with the pearl eta is July, curve is August.

At several times talking with them, they said that I should get telus navigator, they garuntee it will work. yeah, no duh!

SO this is where i am writing the following, not to brag, but for your information only, this is what telus did for me, AFTER they garunteed me that the $15.00/month email and instant messaging would allow me to run BES. ( No it will not by the way)

after hours of trouble shooting BES connection to BB, I find out that BES coding is NOT ALLOWED for that 15/month plan.  I COMPLAINED and COMPLAINED, eventually, they did come through. They put me on email/web 25 which included 4mb of data.  I laughed, he said that is the best he could do, I laughed again. no litterally laughed!  Then they added promo code to make it 250mb/month,  they also put on unlimited for the first 3 months as a gesture of good will.  then I said, I was only prepared to pay 15 a month for my email,  he folded, they put a revolving $10.00/month credit on my account for the term of 3 years.  Then he tells me I can't do tethered data connection/Blue tooth to notebook, that was not included.  YEAH OK BUDDY, I alredy knew the email web 25 was a CONNECT plan and that allowed teathered connections.  250 is not alot, BUT for me I have only used 25 a month so far.

At the end of the day telus did make me happy in that regard, after all, it was only unlimited email and instant messaging, and I ended up with all data.  My brother has two phones they put his on unlimited web browsing ( Phone only no tether capabilities)  but he didn't want to use the BES so he didn't bother complaining more like I did.

Not to mention, at month 3 when the unlimited data was up, i was getting charged  actually $63.57 in about 4 days for data, they did correct the billing and put me back on my 250/month...

To be an ass, I am going to check to see if it really is only 250, I think they told me that so I wouldnt use my notebook all the time on it.  if I could, I ould get rid of the shaw connection :-)

At the end of all this I am glad that I found these posts, I will try to locate 2.0.24 BB maps, and try that.

After Telus does what they called a " refresh my profile in the switch" the GPS works for a little while.

If the problem was with BB maps only, google should work, or any other GPS application, but they do not.

Telus claims they can't allow or dissalow things to work on the phone.  I said, wierd, I find that hard to bleive, I run my own BES server, and I was shocked at HOW MUCH you can do with an IT policy, I wonder what the carrrier can do with the phone.  I think I am going to disable my camera as a joke, or SMS text messaging, or  ahh you get th point.

TELUS SUX RIGHT NOW, and will probably continue.

p.s. customer of telus for 11 years, thats probably why they did a little extra for me, not sure, but I do end up talking to the loyalty and retention dept. alot.  I only spend $70.00 or so amonth with them with one phone, but they like me... HA

Now where to get old BB maps!

Contributor

My plan is $15/month for the unlimited email, web, IM, etc portion. When I bought this phone, they told me that I'll have built-in GPS w/ BlackBerry Maps, and all the other features.  They never indicated that I needed a more expensive plan to use GPS.  They have told me on numerous occasions that it should work and that it is their problem to fix it.  Until they realized it might be difficult to fix.  Then they slowly started to change their opinion.

On the last call they pretty much told me they don't care about my problem, they don't have to help me, it's RIM's fault, Telus only sells "access to their network" and they have no part in supporting these phones and they have no intention of compensating me or doing anything further to help me.  If I remember the call correctly anyway...  it felt like a big "F YOU".  I have never experienced a company that seems to care so little about their customers.  It's disgusting.  

Telus is very polite when they're trying to convince you to buy something and sign a contract.  They have no problem bragging about all the great fatures like GPS.  But once you've signed that contract, they seem to switch attitudes.  They use whatever excuses they can come up with to make sure you don't get what you deserve - "It's not our fault, RIM makes that phone" or "You have a contract, I don't care that the phone we gave to you free for signing that contract does not work.  A contract is a contract".  It was so painful to talk to the person because they just made it so clear that they do not care.  Money's in their pocket, why would they help me further?

Any reasonable company would apologize and do what it takes to track down and fix the problem.  They are supposed to test the phones before releasing them, especially the primary features metioned in their ads.  Oh that reminds me of another lame excuse - they say RIM makes the ads.  What the hell?  RIM does not run telusmobility.com.  Why on earth is Telus still advertising the Curve 8330 as having "built-in GPS and BlackBerry Maps" when they know it doesn't?  I could never do such a thing and not feel like a dirty criminal.  Oh another thing - I read on another site that they almost delayed the release of the Curve 8330 due to it not passing their testing - does anyone know if GPS was the part of the test that didn't pass?

Also, RIM advertises that this phone has GPS when configured properly by the carrier... Telus sells the phone, but without GPS.  So who's fault is it?  Why does the customer lose out?  Why does neither company care, at all?  Not even enough to promise us a fix.  I feel so hated by both companies.  I feel like a victim. 

Telus advertises "built-in GPS & BlackBerry Maps" in a totally separate bullet point from "Telus Navigator for GPS navigation" in their ads.  So, any reasonable person would expect that this piece of junk has BlackBerry maps with GPS.  They now disagree, and say the way you can get GPS if you pay $10/month.   Why would I pay for something you told me was free?

Location based services are about to explode.  This is the next big thing, many say.  With this crap going on with the BlackBerry, Telus is making it clear that they have no intention of getting in on the LBS craze.  What a joke!  

As far as I'm concerned I have been stolen from.  I was told I was getting one thing but given another.  Unfortunately Telus seems to care about nothing but getting their monthly fees out of my pocket.  What happened to providing a decent customer experience?  Offering a service you can be proud of?  If they hadn't done this to me, I would be a lifelong Telus customer.  Now I'm waiting for an opportunity to move on and I will never use Telus again, for mobile, home or business services.  Never.  Because of this awful experience, I want nothing to do with those people ever ever ever again.  Yuck.

What a disaster. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Research In Motion:

We know that someone in your company sees this thread. It is by far the most popular thread over the past two months. By far. It's constantly at the top of the page in this forum.

Please, forward this to someone at your company who can give us some real, useful answers.

Telus is making you look bad with their "we don't care, it's RIM's problem" attitude. And you are telling us nothing. I can't take this any more. Buying this BlackBerry has been the most horrible experience I've ever had as a customer. You are the last ones who can help us.

Please, do something. Someone from RIM who is reading this can forward the URL to someone who can make a difference or give us real answers.

I am so, so, so very disappointed. I've found myself almost in tears trying to get what I paid for. That's all I want. What I paid for. Why on earth can't I have that?

I develop location aware software. That's hard to do on a broken BlackBerry. There are plenty of other platforms with working GPS features who do not do this to their customers.

Somebody needs to do the right thing.

(edit: typo) 

Message Edited by toober on 06-12-2008 11:52 AM
New Contributor

IMPORTANT READ THIS

FOR BES USERS WITH THIS ISSUE

This is regarding users with a BES server, and NOT BIS.

I was lucky enough to find intelligence at Telus DNA.  He told me that he had fixed this issue before with one SIMPLE fix.

When I set up my account, they added BES coding, but nothing for BIS.  all he did was add a BIS account to my profile, with no username password.  and like in an instant the GPS functionality worked, not only on BB maps, but as well on Google maps.

He said they have done this with a few other people and it fixes a multitude of problems.  My GUESS is that it is a data routing issue, if you know how the Location is found without sending the location data to the server you'll understand.

THIS IS PRELIMINARY, I WILL RE-POST ON THE SUCCSESS OF THIS AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS.

p.s. The telus employees are told NOT to trouble shoot BB maps or google maps issues, I approached it in a calm manner, and said look, we know it works, so what is the deal, and it was done in litterally 2 minutes and working.

Contributor

Well, after a few days with nav4all, wich is pretty cool for a free gps soft... When it works of course...

I'm back like day one with this BB, intermittent problems. Since this is working on and off all the time and from my reading, I guess it is some kind of data rooting or something. Cache clearing work one only, so that doesn't solve anything on my side. Anyways, like everyone here I'm waiting for and answer and of course no intelligent response for my opened ticket.. 

Lets start using our BB to do popcorn instead!!!