Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: RIM 8330
My Carrier: larry's cable

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Hey Guys,

same issue as y'all, no gps lock on bb maps. My ticket was closed and I found out that bb will launch a patch in august 2008 to resolve the issue, according to the resolution on my DNA trouble ticket.

some of you should really lay of the defamation of telus due to this issue as telus does not block bb functions, there is no reason to. their navigator has abilities that bb maps doesnt (voice command directions) so it has its own selling points. no need to block bb maps.

also please take a min to reflect on the fact that this is the first release fo the cdma curve, first editions always require patches and updates. get real, its technology.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Well said Bogeymo! But you have info we've been searching for.. A fix in August.. Most problems can be fixed quickly with communication! If anyone at BB cares about it's customers, they would be monitoring this forum.So should have chimed in a while ago..Quite fustrating for all who have legit concerns about their new Curve. So, thank you!!

scott 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

With regards to the GPS patch some have mentioned that will be released by RIM in August for the Curves: 

How would one get the patch installed?  Or is it installed on the network and not the handset? 

Thanks in advance for reading my technochallenged question- Bart

New Contributor

Re: Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

I think the rep was just trying to get you off his back because I have a pearl and have the same issues. I miss the good old days when Telus was new and actually cared about their customers
New Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

I think Telus needs a good slap in the face. Every single phone I have had from them has had issues which were never solved. My old lg couldn't text, my last Motorola... Don't even get me started on the issues I had with that thing. Has Telus ever released a phone without major issues? My friends who have bell don't seem to have such issues, but unfortunately Telus has better data plans... Of course what good is a great data plan when the phone doesn't function properly?
Regular Contributor

Hiyo, im on a Telus BB curve 8330 also, the whole patch thing in August, i seen a comment on how they would install it.

My theory would be the OS update thats rumored to come out, but who knows.

On another note, i called Telus and complained about my GPS issue for the 3rd time, still getting the "oh yes, its a known issue, blah blah" i told them that Telus Navigator makes it work Every single time. So i told them "your going to give me Telus Navigator Free of charge until you have this problem 100% fixed, because i didnt spend $600 of my own money to have a phone without GPS" she agreed, and credited my account $10 for another Free month on top of the 30day trial. she said if the problem isnt solved within the 2 months, she will credit additional months until it is fixed.

So i recommend to everyone out there, give it a try, i had to get a little huffy on the phone at let her know striahgt up i wasnt playing around ( im very demanding ). Telus navigator has worked 100% of the time for me within the 2 weeks i used it , and BB maps works when Navigator is running too. If telus dosnt fix the problem , perhaps they should give us all Telus Navigators free for Blackberry uses?  Try it out, hit me back, let me know what they say to you ^_^.

Contributor

Anyone has any news on the patched coming out?

thx

Contributor

No news, and I don't think we should have any reason to believe the patch will actually fix the problem until we see it working.  I get the feeling that Telus is just trying to get us all to go away and forget about it.  What better way than to keep changing the release date of this mysterious patch?

My advice:

* Complain to the BBB:

The website is: http://www.mwco.bbb.org/

The company you are complaining about is:

Telus Mobility

200 Consilium Place Suite 1600
Scarborough, ON M1H 3J3

You may have to email them, the online complaint form doesn't seem to work (lucky for Telus)

* Complain to Advertising Standards Canada

The website: http://www.adstandards.com/en/consumerSite/howToSubmitAComplaint.asp

Here is one of the ads with misleading information:  http://www.telusmobility.com/on/pcs/handset_blackberry_8330.shtml

BlackBerry Maps & GPS is listed as one of the top bullet points - way ahead of the completely separate bullet point about Telus Navigator. I think it is reasonable to expect that the device has built-in GPS that works.  Not just built-in GPS that doesn't work.

* Post information here on any other organizations that will handle complaints about such an issue.  The CRTC does not handle complaints of this type.

* Don't just sit back and watch everyone complain on the forums and wait for an answer Smiley Happy  Be active.  We have been mislead, and we deserve to get what we paid for before this device is obsolete.  Write blog posts about your experience, participate in the forums, and actually make the necessary complaints even though it takes a bunch of time Smiley Happy

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

FWIW I tried BB maps using GPS 2 times over the last 2 weeks and it worked!!

This is really weird...

Anyone else had any luck??

scott

Contributor

On my side, I don't have any luck with the gps...

Still not working!

I was wondering if it could be the 8330 batch that was sent out to telus that could have a problem? Maybe they bought some kind of refurb...

Anyways, I just hope this issue will be solved soon!