Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Telus and The Tour

I am needing a new device that has WiFi, 'world' capabilities, and all the other functions of a Blackberry.  I am currently a Telus subscriber and was wondering when Telus is going to take delivery of them, I used to be with Bell and we did not get along so well with the excessive service charges.  Can anyone in the upper eschelon help out or give a hint when Telus will be offering these.  I am hoping before the end of August.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Telus and The Tour

Telus should be getting them in mid-week this week (e.g. the 15th).

Note though that the Tour will be like the Storm - it is a quad-band world phone, but there is no WiFi. 

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

How come there is no WiFi included in this, everyone seems so close but like to hold out something so a new edition can be released in a bit and will have that feature.  I and the rest of us are sick of this.  I know you personally are not responsible, but; RIM and Telus can not create something perfect?
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If I recall correctly, there are currently no CDMA devices with WiFi (well the 8350i does has WiFi.

There'll be some model along by the end of the year with WiFi for Telus.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I

[ Edited ]

Assuming that Telus and Bell follow in Verizon's steps, then yup, hopefully by the end of the year.  But Telus and Bell don't seem to like these things (same thing with MMS - they blame the network for it, yet you can use MMS on non-BlackBerry/smartphone devices).  At this point in time, if you want WiFi, you've got to go to Rogers or Fido, but then you don't get a true world phone as they don't have CDMA (only an issue for a few countries though).

If you want to take issue with it, my suggestion is to contact Telus about it.  RIM makes the phones, but they make them according to the carrier's requirements.

By the way, I'm just like you - sometimes it would be really nice to have WiFi capabilities on my Storm.  It's not an issue when I'm home in Canada (no need when you've got an unlimited data plan), but if I go out of country, that's another story.  (And just to be clear, we don't actually work for RIM - we're just regular people like you who come on the forums because we like to).

Message Edited by Krypto on 07-12-2009 10:57 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
My Device: Verizon Blackberry Tour

Krypto wrote:

By the way, I'm just like you - sometimes it would be really nice to have WiFi capabilities on my Storm.  It's not an issue when I'm home in Canada (no need when you've got an unlimited data plan), but if I go out of country, that's another story.  

I moved from Ottawa back to Charleston in March (hallelujah!), but even while I lived up in the Great White North, I used Verizon and subscribed to the Nationwide & Canada Plan for voice and the Global Unlimited Data Plan.  I could go anywhere in the world and use the data functions with no extra charge, plus could cross back and forth between the US and Canada while using the voice functions and never worry about long distance, roaming, etc.  With all due respect to our neighbors to the north, even though you've got brilliant folks inventing/building things like the RIM devices, y'all are way, way behind in your service capabilities.  I suspect it has something to do with the stodgy leadership at the CRTC rather than the actual capacity to deliver consumers better service.

Elite I

OurManInCHS wrote:
I moved from Ottawa back to Charleston in March (hallelujah!), but even while I lived up in the Great White North, I used Verizon and subscribed to the Nationwide & Canada Plan for voice and the Global Unlimited Data Plan.  I could go anywhere in the world and use the data functions with no extra charge, plus could cross back and forth between the US and Canada while using the voice functions and never worry about long distance, roaming, etc.  With all due respect to our neighbors to the north, even though you've got brilliant folks inventing/building things like the RIM devices, y'all are way, way behind in your service capabilities.  I suspect it has something to do with the stodgy leadership at the CRTC rather than the actual capacity to deliver consumers better service.

Yup, the CRTC is a big part behind it.  But the carriers up here (e.g. Telus and Bell in particular) are reluctant to allow these features.  Too bad, but I'm glad that Verizon has offered you guys options!  With any luck, our carriers will follow suit at some point in time.  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Good notes on the poor design of the tour. NO wifi. Whats the point for travelers worldwide.  Not many countries withe 3G. 

What are they thinking. they onrfirmed its a hardwware featuers and no software upgrade can fix this  ?

So for us overseas. its no better off than a  50.00 phone !!