Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless (Canada)

Temporarily or Selectively Block incoming BBM Messages

[ Edited ]
Hello folks.

I was wondering if there is a way to temporarily block BBM's from coming in from selected contacts in BBM without deleting them outright.

I'm currently running OS6 on a 9780. My issue and need is a simple one.
I often apply my status as "BUSY" within BBM when I am involved in something important but need to keep my phone on because of calls I am expecting. Most people respect the BBM icon but to some it is an invitation to ask me what's up and it is unfortunate that applying a Busy status does not temporarily disable incoming BBM's.

I don't want to delete the contacts, I was just wondering if there was a way that anyone knows of to block either all incoming BBM's or selectively block users that don't respect the busy status without deleting the appp or deleting the contact outright.

Now there would be a nice feature to integrate into future editions of BBM wouldn't it? Whereby actually putting your status as "Busy" blocks the incoming BBM's!!!

I hope someone can assist. Thank you in advance for your assistance
Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Temporarily or Selectively Block incoming BBM Messages

I wonder if this will work, check and see.

Device Options > Security > Firewall and set the firewall to block PIN messages.

You can block ALL, or you can or you can block All except specific addresses.

I know this will work on PIN messages to your messages folder, but since BBM is sent via PIN, it may apply there also, why don't you apply a block and have a friend test you.

Let me know, I've never tried it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless (Canada)

JSanders:

Thanks for the reply.  I tried blocking incomming pins and had a buddy bbm me.  The BBM still came through.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ok, well it was worth trying, I never had done so.

So, as I thought, there is no way to block BBM messages from friends without either:

• Deleting that contact
  • Ignoring the message until you are not busy.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Did you find the solution?
Here try mine.
Go to manage connection -> Mobile network option -> Data service (off)
You can only do phone call, no data exchange allowed including BBM, Internet, Email, Even text message.

Hope that help

caturbudi wrote:
Go to manage connection -> Mobile network option -> Data service (off)
You can only do phone call, no data exchange allowed including BBM, Internet, Email, Even text message.

Just as a correction to that, with Data Services off, you will still be able use/get/receive SMS text messages.

Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Try the following, but enter the BBM contact reference in the proper field instead of a phone number:

__

Call Blocking Without Using an Added Software Download:

I have been getting solicitation calls on my phone. I get everything from credit card schemes, to telling me that my Hotmail account and computer has been compromised.

I realize there are some apps for this. When looking at many of the call blocking apps, none of them seemed to be without some type of con. To me, some looked a bit complicated to set up properly. I did some research and found a work around that works for me. I tried this on both a 9800 and 9900 phone.

To Set Up Your Own Call Blocking

In the Contacts do the following:

Go in to the Edit mode and create a new listing.
In the Title line put the name BLOCKED in capital letters.
In the First Name line put the name you want to call this entry to be blocked.
In the Last Name line put in brackets (Muted).
In the Work line put the phone number exactly how it appeared in the call display listing.

This type of entry must be customized for the ring and the message section to pretain only to the added phone number.

Scroll down to Phone and click on it.
Set Volume to Silent or Off
Set LED to Off
Set Vibration to Off
Set Vibrate with Ring Tone to Off
Press Esc and Save

Scroll to Messages and click on it.
Do exactly the same as above for the Phone section.
Press Esc and Save

Press the Blackberry Menu key and save your new entries.

For an enhancement to this. Go to Google Search and click on Image. Do a search for Call Blocking. Download your favorite picture and save it to your SD card in the phone. I downloaded mine on my PC and transferred it to the phone`s SD card. This works out to be the same result. If you don`t like what you see, you can use the picture of your X or whatever...

Go back to the Contacts and search for BLOCKED. All the entries titled BLOCKED will show. Select the first one to start with. In each of them you can add the new downloaded Call Block symbol as the associated picture.

When the Scammer or undesired caller calls, the phone will ignore the call if everything was done and works correctly. The only way you will see the caller has called is in the phone`s logs. This would be expected. Having the symbol showing with the entry makes it easier to quickly spot, and it also gives a nice flare to the look of the entry.

Remember that if a someone is calling and there is no phone number showing it cannot be blocked in any case. If you make an entry with no phone number, then any of your friends who are using call blocking will also be blocked.

Jerry G.