Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Terminating background application

Hi all, 

I am very new to blackberry and would like to know how can I close the background applications (the un-used ones) so that it will not utalise the span of my battery. Will appreciate step by step process, as I've tried google'ing but doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Terminating background application

Press and hold the menu key (the BB key to the left of the trackpad) for a second or two while on your homescreen.  The list that displays is what apps are currently running on your phone.  Some of them are always there and cannot be shut down.  These are Phone, Home, Messages, Browser and one other one I can never remember (I really need to find out which one it is).  Any apps other than those can be shut down.

In order to shut down an app, go to the app, press the menu key again and select Close or Exit.  Note that simply pressing the red phone key will not close the app, even though it leaves the screen.  This minimizes it to the background where it continues to run and use memory.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Heya,

The last application you're talking about must be BBM?? I've tried closing umpteen time and its still there. Smiley Happy I wasn't aware that some list of application cannot be shut down lol. Many thanks for your help Smiley Happy
Elite II

BBM, that's the one!  Thanks for reminding me.

I'm glad you're now able to close down some apps to save memory use on your phone.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

I'm glad I found this forum! Smiley Happy
Elite II

There aren't many problems we can't resolve here so feel free to ask away! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800

That was a great tip, I know of the menu button to find some app. running, i actually they were closed after I close the application.

Thanks vey much

good job!!