Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530; Style 9670
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: Terrible battery life

To be honest, I could turn the radio off, GpS off, wifi off, bluetooth off and still get the same result.

As mentioned, NO aps are running in the background. When I hold down the bb button, it only shows the standard 5 symbols.

Phone is not hooked up to network. It is a very shiny, new, expensive, paperweight sitting on a desk.
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

There is one major way that I have found for increasing battery life:  TURN OFF ALL APPs AS SOON AS I AM DONE WITH THEM!  Just leaving the app to do something else, or closing the phone, will simply leave the app running in the background!  This will eat up battery charge quickly - especially if it involves being online.

Navigation/map programs (Sprint and Google and others)  really eat up the power.  It took me a while to figure out how to close down Google Maps when not using it.  You have to scroll way down in order to find the close or exit button.  I don't use these much at all.

Keeping pages open in the browser also eats up power.  When you are done with a page, close it down.

Along with being aware of this, I purchased a simple program called: Battery Saver.  (It cost me about $1.99, either at AppWorld or CrackBerry.com).  It actually works better for me than BatterySaverPro (which has a free trial, and then they charge you).

I find that I now usually have 50% (give or take) of my power left at the end of the day when I recharge my phone.

Good luck.

New Contributor

I've had my Style 9670 for 2 months now and I love the phone but the battery life seemed to be horrible from day 1, I was getting approximately 5hrs of battery life per charge, and even overnight if I charged my phone to 100% by the morning it would be at 65 or 70% with no wifi, no bluetooth and absolutely no activity.

I decided to do a clean wipe using crackmem utility because I read earlier on this post that someone had problems when they switched from their curve to a style the restore settings had messed up their style and was draining their battery.  Well after the fresh install of my OS the phone went 10hrs overnight and the battery drained only drained 12%.  So instead of restoring all my apps, I did them individual through blackberry app world and mobihand.  It takes alot of time (4 to 5hrs) but I was able to pinpoint what the whole problem was all along.  I had 2 apps that was absolutely obliterating my battery.  Crunch SMS and Ping Chat, even when closed and not running in the background these two apps where draining my battery by 10% every 30 minutes on a good day and up to 20% every 30 minutes during use.  After deleting those two apps as well as aol IM, YMessenger and Windows Messenger (just for good measure although those messengers didn't seem to drain the battery as noticeably as Pingchat and Crunch sms) I left the other 14 apps I like to use on the phone, made sure only the apps that had to run in the background where running which were a total of 8.  

I've gone approximately 8 1/2 hours including 6hrs overnight and 2 1/2 hrs of regular use.  I have 71% battery life left and it seems to be draining slower and slower by the hour as if it's adjusting and may last even longer on the next charge and Im happy with that!

New Contributor

update/correction--- It was not 8/12 hrs it was 10 1/2 hrs and still had 71% battery. Im at the 12hr mark, with heavy use for the last 2hrs still have 35% battery, (that's with constant text and app updates going for 2 straight hours)
New Contributor

UPDATE: Total was 15 1/2 hrs and still had 15% battery life left. So Its safe to say with no chat apps I can get approx. 17+hrs per full charge and that's including at least 4 to 5 hrs of heavy constant use for text, phone, web browsing and using other phone features. Im very satisfied. I even Downloaded another chat app, WhatsApp and though it does drain the battery its not nearly as much as pingchat and crunchsms. I can get about 10hrs per full battery using Whatsapp regularly, so Im pretty satisfied with this too. Far better then the 5 hrs or less I was getting before, and if I ever need more battery life I'll just delete Whatsapp to enjoy the full 17+ hrs I can get from this phone.
Contributor

Your story provides me with a glimer of hope, even though I have almost lost all hope and given up on the phone.

I sent it back to Bell Mobility and they sent it to RIM for analysis. I will not get it back for another couple of weeks. Until then, I am using my Curve and it is giving me decent battery life.

The reason I am still hestitant, is because I completely reset the phone to factory default settings, had no apps installed, and had no usage. Also, I did not transfer over my back-up from the Style. I just left is blank, sitting on a desk.

New Contributor

It sounds like you might have a defective device True North.  I thought Mine was too until I deleted all my chat apps,  It's a huge difference.

Contributor

I hope you're right! I'm hoping Bell will either fix mine or replace it, but it seems that the phone is no longer available at Bell. It has been pulled from the shelves and from the website. Must have had low sales volumes and poor feedback due in part to problems like these.
Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Style 9670

I have been having the same issue, i work overnight and will charge my phone right before i leave work (7am) and then i will go home and without using the phone at all from 8am to around 4pm, the battery will be down to like 45%. I just turned the gps off, so hopefully that will help, i also downloaded deBattGym app, just curious, has anyone used this? If so, let me know how it is. Also, i checked the cpu usage and ironically the thing using the most cpu was  a battery saving app -_-.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Style

I read from another post that if you delete messages the battery life will increase.