Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

Terrible battery life

On all the sites with product information the Style is touted with having 4.5-5 hours of talk time, 9 hours of music playback, and I have seen anywhere from 4-10 days of standby time. 

I can't get over 9 hours period. I go to work. I put my phone in a drawer, and by the time I get off, it's nearly dead. It generally dies completely on my drive home. I went to Sprint and got a new battery, but this is no better. 

Did a battery drain somehow get missed when 6 was ported onto the Style? Is this just my phone? This is my first Blackberry, but this is pointless if I can't make it through a day with little to zero use.

Re: Terrible battery life

Hi - same problem with battery life.  Only had the phone a couple of days and need to charge it daily.  I don't use it for music, mainly talk and email. Have not gone 24 hours without needing to charge.  My talk time is probably 30 minutes daily and emails come in regularly.  Bought it from Sprint and they have a 30 day return program.  Will give it a couple of weeks to see if this phone works for me. 

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Hi guys,

I would start by backing up your data then going through the steps in the following KB article:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

Make sure you test the battery life again before restoring any backup data or third party applications.

Cheers,

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Style 9670 Smartphone

WOW....24 hours!  I would LOVE to have that.  I would be THRILLED to only have to charge my battery once a day!  I just got this phone 3 days ago and I have not been able to get more than 6 hours of battery life.  It has barely been used, except they did hook up 2 email accounts when they did the setup at the Sprint store and I get about 20 emails a day, so that's the most activity I've gotten.  I tried changing some options - backlight, bluetooth, a network connection - to try to reduce usage, but I unplugged a fully charged phone at 9:30am today and at 2pm today, it was down to 9% battery life.  During that time, I received 1 text message, sent 1 text message, received 1 voicemail message (which, BTW, I couldn't hear - haven't had time to figure that out yet), received about 10 email messages, opened email a couple of times, checked battery life a few times.  Otherwise, the phone was closed, clock picture went out after about a minute.  I'll be stopping at the Sprint store on my way home tonight.  If this is the NORM, then I guess I'll be looking for a different phone.  Smiley Sad  too bad, because I like the features, just can't keep the phone plugged into a car charger or PC or outlet ALL DAY LONG.  Smiley Sad

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Style 9670

I just got 2 of these , 1 for myself and 1 for my son and we are fairly shocked at the low battery life.

Question for Fozzy Bear: what good will doing a reload of the software potentially do? Just curious.

Retired

Hi eglassman,

The goal here is to see if the same issue occurs with a clean installation of the latest available operating system while excluding any third party applications. 

If the issue persists after the clean reload we will need to investigate further as to why this is happening. If the clean reload resolves the issue it likely there was something running on the device that was triggering the battery drain.

-FB

Terrible battery life

I don't even get the options that are shown in the screenshots on my desktop manager?

Any idea why that may be?

Retired

amboaman wrote:

I don't even get the options that are shown in the screenshots on my desktop manager?

Any idea why that may be?

Which screenshots are you missing? Make sure you are looking under the section that corresponds to your version of BlackBerry Desktop Software.

-FB

My Device: Blackberry Flip 9670

My phone does the same thing! It is charged when I leave the house at 8. when I get home at 5, it is almost dead. I text pretty regular, but hardly any phone calls - since I am at work. NO internet or radio use either. Smiley Sad

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

There are several ways to extend battery life on the Style, or any other phone for that matter...

1) Set screen backlighting to as low as possible. The Style works well, even at 10%

2) Set screen backlighting timeout to as low a number of seconds as possible, and increment up after a day's usage to the minimum acceptable level.

3) Turn off Bluetooth when not in use. Turn off Wifi when not in use

4) Scan for programs that automatically update themselves at set intervals, and change their settings so they only update when you enter them, or require a manual trigger. Examples of such programs include Google Sync, some RSS readers, news programs like the Wall Street Journal, weather reporting programs, etc. They should only pull down data when told to.