Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 - v7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Telus

Tethering on tablets

Device info

See info on the right.

When writing your question

Any other details that would help us out with your issue:

Here's the thing: We have several BB Bold 9900 in our enterprise and people are really liking that 7.1 Mobile Hotspot feature. They dont have to carry air cards, they can just use their phone and they love it. Many of these users have 2nd gen iPads (i know, i know, but bear with me) and it works great, but started having a few issues after an iOS update (6.1). After several tries, it connects though so this not why i'm here. (although if you have some input, would be appreciated).

What I'm here for is that I've had users with 3rd or 3th gen iPad and their connection just does not go through at all.

When I connect my laptop to my device though, no problem. Any other device to my BlackBerry, no problems. So I thought to myself that the iPad would be faulty. Phoned Apple (waste of time) and after several calls they had me test the connection with other devices than my own (Android/iOS/Standard Wi-Fi/Other BlackBerry). They all worked but not the other Blackberry (another BB Bold 9900 with the same software as mine). So I called Apple again, telling them the tests i had done, told me that there is indeed something blocking, but they're not sure if it's them or RIM. And they left me on that ..

So to sum it up, the iPad 3rd/4th gen connects to the web with all devices, except with the BlackBerry. And my BlackBerry tethers data to any devices except iPads 3-4 gen.

Has anyone in this community faced this problem or similar? I'm wondering if it could be carrier related, too?

Thank you in advance!

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Tethering on tablets

You might want test off Telus.

Our home iPad 3rdGen and iTouch5 connect fine to my 9850 hotspot.

You might also test those iPads connected to another model hotspot, like a 9860?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Sounds like a good idea, I have some 9860 available so I'll definetely try this one out right now.
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Good luck, I'll be curious, please post back.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

So far no luck with the 9860 model, tried again with my own 9900, no luck either.

Now I have to go hunt for a device on a different carrier. I'll post back with the results.