Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Tethering

• Sprint has indicated that it does not support the 9630 as a tethering modem any more. 
  • I have downloaded PdaNet for BlackBerry version 2.30 to my laptop and my  handheld. 
  • I cannot get the PdaNet loaded in to my BlackBerry DeskTop Manager version 5.01 or get an icon created on my Blackberry file screen.
  •  I would like  to know if there is a way fget these working as this unit used to work well as a tether accessing the Sprint site.  I would also like to learn if there is an alternative applicaition that still could support a tethered need.   
  • One alternative could be TMobile as I have an WIFI account with them.  Is there a application that I could add to my Tour 9630 and use it to access their sites if I am they are near me.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Tethering

WIFI requires a WIFI hardware chip which is unfortunately not part of the BB Tour so you will not be able to use WIFI on that device. Regarding tethering, you should be able to do this via desktop manager without additonal software unless it is blocked by your carrier for whatever reason. Make sure you have the latest OS for your BB and the latest version of desktop manager. There is also an app called 'tether' which can be used to help tether BB devices - I have no experinced in using this application but I am aware of its existance so you may want to check it out

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply. 

I was able to download Tether and add it to the Blackberry and use it once.  However, when I am trying to use it again, the desktop program says Open the Tether on the Blackberry.  The location of the file on the Blackberry is under the Advanced Options, Applications folders, and there is no way to that I can see to start the Tether program.  

Please tell me how to get an icon set on the Blackberry so I can activate the Tether program with out having to delete it and reloading it every time.

Developer

did you check ur applications/downloads folder? maybe it is hidden (in main screen *menu key* > *show all icons*

Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
New Contributor

In the Application folder and the down load folder, the Tether file or icon is not shown.  It is only in the place described in my earlier note. 

Developer

I am not too clear with where you are describing. There are file manager programs/apps avaliable for free that you can look for in app world, Im not sure if that helps. If this does not work, try posting on forums.crackberry.com and see if there is anyone there that can help you. I think that forum gets more traffic than this one.

New Contributor

It is not clear what you mean by "download Tether and add itto the Blackberry".

On the Tether download page they give you the URL for the mobile download.  You point your Blackberry browser to that URL and download the mobile client.  It will end up in your Downloads folder.  You can leave it there, move it to the Applications folder, or (as I did), move it up to the root folder.

This is one of the most valuable applications I have on my Tour - with it, I was able to tell Sprint where to put their $40 a month PAM charge, and still use my laptop anywhere I go, without either having to buy an air card and pay a monthly charge for that on top.

Message me directly if you want any more help with this one.

New Contributor

When I downloaded the Tether application it does not end up in the Download folder, it ends up in the Application folder, and I have not ability to activate it or move it., When I open my Download and the Application folders there are no functions that says either create an icon or activate an application.
New Contributor

If you installed the mobile client from http://tether.com/d1/13989180, it should work like this:

1.  Go to the applications folder.

2.  Highlight the Tether application

3.  click the Blackberry (menu) button

4.  Select "Move to Folder"

5.  Select where you want to move it to.

If that doesn't work, I'd say delete the app and re-install it.  Make sure that you set permissions on the app when you do install it, otherwise it won't be able to access essential resources in your phone when it runs.

New Contributor

My information about location of the Tether file was wrong in my previous note  The only place I can find the Tether file is under Options, and Advance Options, selecting Applicaitons, which has it listed there.  This is where I cannot take any action on the application as on the Blackberry menu there is not option to open the application or move it or create an icon.   What can be done to use the downloaded application and address these items?