Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Text problems

I just got my first Blackberry Pearl yesterday. Everything is great...except the SMS text messaging. When I go to compose an SMS text, the little box you type into disappears as soon as you start typing and doesn't reappear until the cursor moves to the second line. When you get 2 lines of text, everything you have written appears. BUT if you misspell something in line 1, and go to fix it, if you delete anything, the text disappears again. After i send the message, I can see what I have written but it won't show me while I'm typing it. You can see the character count on the side of the screen moving, showing that you are typing something, but you can't see anything. Please help! This is very frustrating!
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Text problems

Hmmm, strange behavior indeed. Have you tried to reset the device already? If not just take the battery out for 30 seconds. After the device reboots, try to compose an SMS message
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

I've tried resetting it several times. It still keeps happening.
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

The next thing I would do then is to make a backup of the data using the Desktop Manager's backup and restore feature. Then I'd either wipe the device or reload the software.

If you want to try wiping the device you would go to Options | Security Options | General Settings, hit the menu button, choose Wipe Handheld. Doing so would erase all the data, but also reset the device back to factory specs. After it's done wiping try going into the compose sms and see if it happens. If not, you can use the backup and restore to restore your data and try it once more

If you want to try reloading the OS, then follow the last post in this thread

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=31292

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

It worked when I wiped it!! Evidently, my operating system was VERY outdated. Once I find my data cable, I'm going to re-install everything. Thanks so much!