Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8330

The 9800 Torch?

Hi to all,

I now own a Blackberry 8330 and wanted to upgrade to the 9800. My question is this....if I do not purchase the data package from my service provider (since I have no use for it) will the 9800 drop, miss calls or disconnect from the network since if I do not have the data package? I do know that other Blackberry phones are sold with a basic cell package and no data, but does this affect the 9800 or is this just a Bell sales pitch to get more cash?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: The 9800 Torch?

it will work just like a cell phone with out a data plan

but you should turn off data service so you wont be charged, some carriers will charge you based on the type of device you are connecting with.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. I shut that function off on my 8330 a long time ago but was still paying a 25$ data service to bell per month. Are you a Blackberry technician or part of thier company? Just so I get an idea who you are! I would hate to fork out that much money and then have to reactivate the data plan for the phone to work right!

Eric

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

My intro

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Welcome-Introductions/Who-is-knottyrope/m-p/245921/highlight/...

People from RIM have a BB logo with their user name Smiley Wink

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Thanks again for the reply. My provider doesn't want to upgrade my equipement if I do not take the data option. I will have to call my agent that looks after my industrial account and complain. If I can get it past him I believe this is the phone I will get. Have a good day!

Guru III
My Device:

Wish you luck on it

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Hiya!

Just to add to this. I know some carriers will make you have a blackberry data plan with the device. I Have heard AT&T will even add it once the IMEI registers to your account. Also I believe Rogers makes you now aswell.

But yes, good luck to ya!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter