Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

The JVM 102 Error with a twist...

So I got the dreaded JVM 102 Reset error on my 8130 Pearl.  I've searched the forums and the common suggested solution is to connect the blackberry to the computer and run the application loader in desktop manager.  I've downloaded the latest version of DM and have downloaded the latest operating software from my provider's site.  When I start up the application loader, it shows my PIN and asks for a password for my device.  I do not ever remember setting a password.  So I've tried everything I can think of.  No matter what password I put in, the application list comes up and I pick what I want to load.  When I click "Finish," after a minute or two of attempting to connect to my blackberry, I get this message:

"The desktop loader is unable to connect to the device.  You may need to enter the password on the device."

The problem is I don't ever remember setting a password for this phone in DM.  So I have no idea what password they could be asking for.  I've tried my standard password for everything, "blackberry", my phone number, and even tried it with no password.  Is the password even the issue here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as I feel cut off from the world without my blackberry (I know, it's a problem).  Thanks!

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: The JVM 102 Error with a twist...

Did you have a password lock on the phone at all? (after a certain time it locks up and needs the password)

Thats what its asking for. The device password.

What version of DM and DS did you download? Not that it should make a difference. Its asking for the device handheld.  May have been set by a previous user then turned off etc..

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor

Thank you very much for your response. 

I did not have a password lock on the device.  The situation you describe has never occurred (phone locking up after certain time).  I don't think I've ever messed with passwords at all.  All signs point to this being a password problem, but I don't know the password and can't get into the phone to enter it 10 times and reset the phone.  What other options are there?

The other info you asked for....DM = V4.5 and DS is from Verizon's site and it's called Blackberry Device Software V4.3

Thank you very much for your help.

Forums Advisor III

I was going to say we will have to enter it ten times to get it to reset (sounds like you have lost all your info anyway being a jvm error)

But alas, your post said it won't even do that.

Last resort is to call your carrier, get them to escalate the call to RIM.

When I get calls like this from customers and there is literally no way to fix it, we need to call through to RIM and get them to troubleshoot. they will be able to guide you through what they call a JAVA Reload.

When you call your carrier, you may get a consultant who just wants to get it replaced. Thats fine if you want to wait that long, otherwise push for them to escalate the call.

You are entitled to receive full support and thats what RIM are for.

Let us know how you go.

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor

I spoke with a Verizon rep and she didn't tell me anything I haven't learned from these forums already.  When talk of replacement came up, she said this does not fall under the manufacturers warrantey since I downloaded a 3rd party application earlier in the day.  But who's to say that's what caused this?  I downloaded the app at roughly 2pm and used it several times that day.  The phone crashed around midnight.  Not to mention, the 3rd party app is through majorleaguebaseball.com and is widely held throughout the Blackberry community.  I trust mlb.com to produce an app that is safe for phones...I may be naive in this regard though.

Nonetheless, she also gave me Blackberry's Tech Support phone number, but they want to charge me to talk with them and they don't guarantee a solution.  Is this where I need to go to try this JAVA Reload that you've mentioned?

After that, she gave me the number to their insurance claims department.  This option carries a $50 deductible and there's a chance that I would receive a refurbished phone instead of a new phone (I don't know this for sure, but it's stated that a new phone is not guaranteed).  Is this my only option left?

Thank you again for your continued assistance.

Forums Advisor III

Installing a third party App does not normally voide the warranty.

I'm not sure why they woudln't put your call through to RIM. either try getting another consultant, asking for their team leader, or maybe that is the way that carrier operates. Don't mention you installed any apps.

RIM provide refurbished devices as replacements, but in most cases, you would never know if it is new or used.

It all sounds very confusing and its as if the carrier don't want to take any responsibility.

Im at a loss as to what I can advised further mate, sorry.

OR
~Gday from Down Under~
Highlighted
New Contributor

I figured it out!  The first thing I did was download the latest versions of the device software (Verizon something 4.3) and desktop manager (v. 4.5).  Since I never remembered having to enter a password before, I uninstalled 4.5 and redownloaded the previous version 4.3 desktop manager.  It never asked for a password and I was able to reload the applications and we're back up and running.  I lost all my phone contacts, but better than having to pay the $50 deductible for a new one!  Thanks for all the help.