Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

The Reason behind OS Update/Upgrade

Hi all,

I have asked this question on many BB forums but i have yet to get and answer. We see new OS releases come out and almost everyone rushes to download and install this.

What I don't see is the reason for this Update/Upgrade. why was this made and what problems does it solve. Why is this never released with the OS.

Thanks

Jairo

Blackberry Bold, what else..?
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: The Reason behind OS Update/Upgrade

Hi Jairo,

Welcome To BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

OS or version upgrade for software application is very common. This is usually done for fixing software bugs (problems fced by the users), add features or increase the capabilities and so on. In many cases developers forces users to upgrade as they stop support for older version and hence end users need to upgrade their application as well.

Now coming back to BlackBerry reasons are not different then mentioned above. BlackBerry OS upgrades enable users  with much more added functionality for their device. Device OS 4.2 and below doesn't have the capability of video capture. When OS 4.5 released they enabled all the older devices with video capture capability. In some cases upgrades brings efficient battery and memory management capability. For example, Storm users reported many issues regarding .75 OS when .148 came out off of those users become happy with much stable device behavior. 

There is another view as well if you're happy with the existing OS functions and features then there is no need to upgrade unless you want some added functions and features. However, If RIM declares 'End of Life' for any OS meaning no future support then it's better to go for upgrade. 

I hope this helps!

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Tanzim,

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Your explanation is clear to me but what i am refering to is;  let's say there is a new official version of an OS lets call it version 1.1.1.102. (it's an upgrade for 1.1.1.101)

You can download this on one of the major BB forums. But what is not stated is what is this .102 version fixing. Why download it. Then comes the testing and trying out and people have to speculate or after carefully noticing improvements or not, they'll say "aha this OS does this and this"

Why not informing BB users up front what they are getting and what it fixes. It's like getting something that you dont know what it does but u can brag about it that u have it.

Get my point?

Jairo

Blackberry Bold, what else..?
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

I got your point. Well you know in this community users like us provide the details of the new upgrades. It's true there is no update log from RIM and in this regard we can't say much. Anyway if you have any query about any OS version then please let that know to this community users. I'm sure that you'll some response

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

J-Tuning wrote:

Tanzim,

Hi there, thank you for your reply. Your explanation is clear to me but what i am refering to is;  let's say there is a new official version of an OS lets call it version 1.1.1.102. (it's an upgrade for 1.1.1.101)

You can download this on one of the major BB forums. But what is not stated is what is this .102 version fixing. Why download it. Then comes the testing and trying out and people have to speculate or after carefully noticing improvements or not, they'll say "aha this OS does this and this"

Why not informing BB users up front what they are getting and what it fixes. It's like getting something that you dont know what it does but u can brag about it that u have it.

Get my point?

Jairo

I think you may be talking about beta os  They are released on a limited basis so that folks can see if the os works as it is supposed to or if their are bugs. I imagine the developers want a bulk testing rather than their limited testing in their labs would be my guess.