Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially

Windows mobile... numerous brands support the platform
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

Thanks, cjm -- I'll browse around and see what makes the most sense for me and my computer.  This whole thing is sad.  I'm sure I would have loved the Storm but I've already gone way over the top trying to fix RIM's screwed-up software.  Just can't give it any more time. 
New Contributor

I guess blackberry will not answer how to fix this problem. I got this storm so I could use with outlook and it will not sync just get that message that I am not connected to the internet. I guess I will return this piece of ......
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

WM device = a smartphone that runs Windows Mobile as OS.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Thanks, Xandrex.  By any chance do you know whether DM v4.2.2 will work with a Storm?  Downgrading to a different version of DM is my last hope here. 
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

If I recall correctly you need 4.6 for Bold and Curve 8900 and 4.7 for Storm.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

As it turns out, you can use DM v4.2.2 with a Storm but you need a new device manager to do it.  In a last ditch effort to try to save my Storm, I contacted Verizon (primarily to get instructions on how to return it) and they sent me over to someone at BlackBerry.  It seems that I finally got someone at BlackBerry who actually appeared to give a d*** whether I could solve my sync problem.  The BlackBerry tech readily acknowledged that, given all that I'd already tried, DM v4.7 just wasn't going to work on my computer with my Storm and v4.2.2 was the version he immediately recommended, along with a software package from Verizon.  He told me to download DM v4.2.2 (multi-language with media manager) from BlackBerry's website then go to Verizon's website and download "VZAccess Manager" (version needed depends on the device -- for a Storm, I needed v6.9.0).  Once I'd installed both of those pieces of software, I connected my Storm to my computer and it worked perfectly.  Initial sync with my Outlook 2003 contacts and calendar zapped through without so much as a hiccup. The Verizon website where I got the VZAccess Manager piece is at http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry

So my Storm is going to live to see another day!  For those folks with a Storm that came from Verizon, this workaround for the troublesome DM v4.7 may be the key until RIM fixes v4.7.  It's certainly working for me.

[ Edited ]

Had the same problem, turns out it was McAfee "VirusScan." In the VirusScan Console there is a line named "Access Protection. I selected it, brought up "Properties" then "File, Share, and Folder Protection." Turns out there were many blocked actions that I never asked it to do. . . Things like preventing files from being created, etc.

I disabled (unchecked) all the rules and hit OK. Now synchronization works. Hope this helps.

Message Edited by rlmcneary2 on 02-04-2009 09:14 PM

I'm not sure if someone gave you the solution, but here's one that I found on another site that worked for me. I'm running Windows XP and Destop Man 4.7, but I gather the solution will work for you too.

Click START then RUN then type "regedit" then look for "Research in Motion" on the left side", expand that, then expand the folder on the left that says "blackberry", then expand the fold on the left that says that says "syncronize" four items appear on the right side the third one down says "state", (if its not there, then check to see if its in the further nested folder that has an alphnumeric name) right click on "state" to modify, when the box opens change the number in "Value Data" from a 6 to a 0 then hit "ok".

It was as simple as that.

Hope that helps.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Cool! Orphanfrannie
I'm glad you have it fixed.
Please resolve the thread so others can find your answer faster.
Thanks,

Bifocals
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter