Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially

And what's really ironic, is that I've been waiting for RIM to fix the Bluetooth issue so that you can sync your bb with 3rd party Bluetooth drivers....and WOW - DM 5.0 seems to have fixed that issue.  So after all this time I can finally sync using Bluetooth, but now I can't sync because of this silly problem with not being able to find the internet which is clearly available because when you launch DM 5.0 it checks the internet for updates like THIS ONE!!!

Very frustrating!

Additionally, I have done like other posters on this site, I have disabled all firewall and virus scan software to no avail.  It still never sees it.  There must be a registry entry somewhere in 5.0 that will turn off the check internet check as it did in 4.6 and 4.7?

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Turned out that Roxio Media Manager was the culprit on my machine.  After trying everything else, I uninstalled 4.6 with the intent of backing up to 4.2 and discovered that suddenly Roxio MM was reconfiguring itself while BB software was uninstalling.  Turning off Roxio MM fixed it.

Betty

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Is this the media manager that comes with the Desktop Manager software?  Do you install DM without it?  I tried doing that once to speed up the installation and it didn't seem to help.
My Device: Not Specified

Hi

Did you manage to fix it? I am at the end of my tether and the regedit did not work for me as i don't have the same values as described above. I am running 4.7 and nothing seems to work. I can't sync due to this **bleep** internet access issue. I thought it may be just my machine but looking around it seems it is a common problem. I am new to BB and cannot believe the lack of support.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

M

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Did you get it fixed?  I'm also running DM 5.  Please help!
New Contributor

This thing is like Whack-a-mole.  You try one thing and something else pops up.  I tried everything: firewall, got rid of Roxio, clean install etc.  Finally, I went back to the old version that works, like maybe 4.2.2 or something like that.  Now the applicatin installer doesn't work.

Today, I heard on CNBC that RIM (Research In Motion: parent company of the Blackberry) is one of the most profitable and forward thinking companies.  Didn't they get the memo on this one?  

I use this for personal management but if I were a business person, I would so have another product it wouldn't be funny:  Iphone, Tilt, Google pHone.... whatever.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BLACKBERRY Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

I noticed I got this message when I re-installed upgrade to 4.7 from 4.5, because I was having some issues with my computer when the Blackberry Device stopped communicating with the DeskTop software. So I was doing some troublehsooting from several KB notices I got from Blackberry - I know my profile was messed up so I had 4.5 installed -- I installed 4.7 because this seems to be the only one that is stable enough. I answered to the question who will be using this - EVERYONE or JUST ME - this time I answered everyone -- since I knew my desktop login was using more than one user profile. After I rebooted my system (per the installer request), My Blackberry Curve 8330 (Sprint) with v4.5 OS was finally recognized by the Desktop software.

I then tried to perform the SYNC, but I kept getting that message that I MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET - this does not make sense -- I should be able to sync no matter what. This is a BUG for sure in the BLACKBERRY DESKTOP - should be resolved because this can be a deal breaker for selling the Blackberry (which I love).

I also noticed it started to sync the Certificates with the installed as EVERYONE NOT with the installed as JUST ME - with JUST ME installsI never got these sync messages or any certificates that were downloaded. I believe the INTERNET issue has something to do with the ALL USERS and different USER PROFILES on the system. I believe the Blackberry Desktop Manager thinks it is internet access between the physical operating system across user profiles. 

After a while I kept saying TRY AGAIN - I was finally able to sync my Blackberry Device with the DESK TOP - I have no idea why I was able to all of a sudden. My profession is Software QA Engineer - I would love to work for Blackberry because my pet pive is that applications on the Blackberry and desktop software has not been tested properly and when have support work on these issues, it is really not resovled to the ROOT CAUSE level -- there must be a root cause and there should be a WHITE PAPER for the customers of Blackberry to resolve these issues.

Now I have to install the update of 4.7 B50 to 4.7 B59, because it did not install the MEDIA MANAGER (ROXIO). I hope this not mess up my finally connected Blackberry device with the DESKTOP MANAGER.

This bug must be fixed and/or workaround of the exact ROOT CAUSE.

New Contributor
My Device: Flip Pearl 8320

As a clarification of the winning post for fixing this "must be connected" bug...

The Windows Registry entry is specifically:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\<PIN#>         

And the key value "state" should be changed from"6" to "0"

...not to be confused with the other "Research In Motion" in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive.

I find this does work for DM4.7, however after doing the (very lengthy) upgrade to DM5.0 the fix is not effective anymore.

...and I could not find any other way to disable the message, so back to DM4.7 I go...

I must say that I was expecting an improvement over the Motorola Phone Tools that I was using with my old phone, because that was really bad, but this DM tool is even worse!  ...at least as far as the installation goes!  Who tests this stuff??

New Contributor

None of these fixes has worked for me.  There is a complaint when I do the initial installation about a missing .dll file.   I got vers. 4.2.2. to synchronize but then I couldn't add apps.  There was an error message saying I didn't have enough memory.  I think the whole thing is flawed so I have stopped synchronizing and using it other than a phone.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

@roddyknit please uninstall properly any installation of Desktop Manager before installing a new one.

KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: