Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Flip Pearl 8320

Re: The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially

- I am under the impression that uninstalling the DM is not necessary, since the main screen of the tool has a "Check for Updates" link that installs the new version on top of the old one...  However, cleaning up the old version would seem like a prudent thing to do.

- The messages about not registering the various connector dlls is another known problem that requires an edit of the registry after installation.  It is documented on these pages somewhere.

- BTW, the fix for the "must be connected" problem must be done AFTER you try to Sync your phone the first time and get the message.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Did all that numerous times.
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

Roddyknit -- Believe me.  I feel your pain.  Like you, I tried EVERYTHING to get DM v.4.7 up and running on my Windows XP SP3 machine.  Never succeeded so I stayed with v.4.2.2 for synchronizing my Storm with Outlook.  I wasn't trying to download apps, however, so I didn't run into the problem that you're having with that DM version.  When I got a new computer this summer (now running on 64-bit Vista, syncing with Outlook 2007), I was able to install and run DM v.4.7 without a hitch and with full functionality so, mercifully, I no longer have the issues addressed in this thread.  But just FYI -- I don't know what operating system you're running but if you're getting "Error 1904" messages during installation of DM (about various .dll files failing to register), there is a fairly simple way to manually register those files.  You'll find it at http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-fix-desktop-manager-error-1904-a-54700/ -- be sure to read the whole thread because there are some typos in the initial posts that are corrected later on.  I was able to get the missing .dll files manually registered on my old machine and that solved my "the computer must be connected to the internet . . ." issue but -- exactly as you mentioned earlier -- this is a real "whack-a-mole" circus and once I'd solved that problem, I ran into another one (one of those "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close" things), which I was never able to solve with v.4.7 on that machine (and why I ended up using v.4.2.2 for synchronization until I got my new computer).  Anyway, you may already have tried this but I thought I'd mention it just in case you hadn't.  You never know.  Maybe it will work for you.

P.S.  Just in case the above link doesn't post (since they don't always let you embed links in these posts), the URL is http:// forums [dot] crackberry [dot] com [slash] f3 [slash] how-fix-desktop-manager-error-1904-a-54700 [slash]

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Thanks a lot.  I did so many things I have lost track of which fixes I tried but when I have some time I will give it a try again.  I figure there must be some Windows XP incompatibility or something.
New Contributor
My Device: Flip Pearl 8320

I just installed DM4.7 on a Windows XP SP3 Professional system without any problems!

The Windows XP SP3 Basic system gave me lots of problems...

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

Unfortunately, the problem is not limited to XP Basic -- it exists with XP Pro SP3 (which is what I was running) as well. Equally unfortunately, as near as I can tell there does not seem to be anything that is common to everyone who is having this problem.  It's cropped up with a variety of operating systems and with a wide variety of other circumstances (such as anti-virus software).  If someone could find a common "nut" that everyone with this problem shares, we'd undoubtedly be 99% of the way to a sure-fire solution.  That's beyond what any community forum can do, however, and RIM/BlackBerry does not appear to be sufficiently interested in the issue to get to the bottom of it.  IMHO, there's simply no excuse for RIM's failure to figure this out and solve it.
My Device: storm 2

[ Edited ]

I am posting here as it was helpfull to me - thx

my issue was dealt with by talktalk's geek squad - £30 but at least its working - 100% fine

here is the report

MISSION DETAILS
=======================================================
ask client to install latest version of bb desktop manager.

Tried to change device on web but html error"

Send service books via host routing table, reset handset, issue still persist sending email and sync

HARD RESET BLACKBERRY (wipe handheld) re setup email, test sent recieved email worked fine

NOW JUST THE SYNC ISSUE, will not sync

Found clinets laptop on work domain, with clinets permission removed from domain to workgroup, re sync...... worked fine

DEBRIEFING

22/12/2009 13:07:56 - N Ali (MC)  
''Client having problems syncing Blackberry 9520 to Microsoft Outlook, ''

So the issue with the sync for me was my work domain

hope it helps someone

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telus

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum.

I just bought a new Bold 9700 and using the latest DM version 5.0.1.28 installed on Windows XP SP3 When trying to configure synchronisation, I keep getting the same error message all of you got.

I've tried the registry modification, but this version of DM doesn't seem to install the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\<PIN#> nor the "State" key, so I can't get the synchronisation to work...  

Has anyone found a fix for version 5.0.1?

Thanks for your help!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Na-Vi wrote:

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum.

I just bought a new Bold 9700 and using the latest DM version 5.0.1.28 installed on Windows XP SP3 When trying to configure synchronisation, I keep getting the same error message all of you got.

I've tried the registry modification, but this version of DM doesn't seem to install the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\<PIN#> nor the "State" key, so I can't get the synchronisation to work...  

Has anyone found a fix for version 5.0.1?

Thanks for your help!

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

The official answer is that, as the message states, one must be connected to the Internet the first time that they execute and configure DTM. There is no official work around that I know of.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Greetings All,

I have the same problem, I want to upload an application but before it lets me do that I have to update something else. The problem is that when it tries to update it gives me the 'check internet' message and it fails, so I am not able to upload my app.

However I managed to find a work around, in my case I just wanted to upload an app to the phone. To do this you can go to "Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader", if you used something other than the programs file directory use that one. However, on that folder you will find the Loader.exe program without the fancy GUI. This let me upload my app to my phone.

Hope it helps,